bougainvillea magnifica traillii

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
Just wanted to show off my latest pre bonsai / start a progression thread.

Picked up this bougainvillea from the bargain table at a big box hardware/garden store. $10 which was 50% off.

I've placed it in a plastic tray with holes on the side, which is placed on some pine bark (just a filler to hold the tray higher) then a fine pumice substrate (im working on getting better bonsai soil). its in a large plastic tub so i can move it inside each night throughout winter.

Not too sure on my plans just yet. I think i might just watch what happens during next spring/summer and learn abit about it. I might plant it in the ground and let it grow, but if it's growing strong in the tray, I might leave it like that.
IMG_20190416_094607.jpgIMG_20190416_094621.jpgIMG_20190416_094628.jpgIMG_20190416_094702.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't look like a Bougainvillea but maybe it could be a type I've never seen before. Do you see any thorns? Anyway, your plan to let it grow for a while and get to know the tree is a good one. Post pics when you get flowers.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't look like a Bougainvillea but maybe it could be a type I've never seen before. Do you see any thorns? Anyway, your plan to let it grow for a while and get to know the tree is a good one. Post pics when you get flowers.
I sort of missed the part of you title where you say what type of Bougi. Looks like you got one which produces nice purple flowers. I would let the trunk thicken before cutting back and making it into a bonsai. Good luck.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Needs a little fertilizer as well. I use miracle grow on mine.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry bubble did not see your location. You are right probably better to hold off until spring. Nice little tree.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Top Bottom