Bougainvillea Potential

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Looks pretty healthy, where are you keeping it? If you add your location to your profile, you will get the best advice for your area. If it's inside, give it as much light as you can and water sparingly. Looks like it's in regular potting soil. In the summer, you can think about repotting in a better draining soil. Bougies do not like to be kept soaking wet.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Percussive, thunderous drumbeats fill the sky, dancing on lines of panflute melody...signaling not only your arrival, but also.. THE FEAST! Glad you have heeded the enticing song of the woody dwarves. They stand in quiet solemnity.. welcoming you here, to the Tiny Forest.

‘Tis a wellspring of shared knowledge/experience that you’ve “dug your pickaxe” into.. here! Drink when you need, offer up/share when you can.

Looks pretty healthy, where are you keeping it? If you add your location to your profile, you will get the best advice for your area. If it's inside, give it as much light as you can and water sparingly. Looks like it's in regular potting soil. In the summer, you can think about repotting in a better draining soil. Bougies do not like to be kept soaking wet.
All this! ...listen to Carol.

Sidenote: NICE bougie! Definite potential noted... it will be a lot of fun/knowledge gained in development.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the nuthouse!

Bougies trunk up slowly in areas of non-heat. In any case, count on letting branches grow a dozen feet or so to get fatter. This requires lots of roots and fertilizer. Give it a sunny spot now, and in summer the most sun exposed you can give it. Fertilize, water. Clip out the flowers if you are growing out. Then they can go like vines.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Welcome to the nuthouse!

Bougies trunk up slowly in areas of non-heat. In any case, count on letting branches grow a dozen feet or so to get fatter. This requires lots of roots and fertilizer. Give it a sunny spot now, and in summer the most sun exposed you can give it. Fertilize, water. Clip out the flowers if you are growing out. Then they can go like vines.
Indeed.. a healthy bougie pushes almost UNREAL amounts/lengths/widths of growth.. they want to ... “envelop” everything around them to aggressively “grab” light and produce more and more flowers in attempts of reproducing.. little bougie monsters that “eat up their weight in groceries”.. and so on..

🤓

Last edited:

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm from Brazil! Here the actual season is summer. My plant recieves direct sunlight in my backyard. I'll try change the soil as soon as possible.

Thanks for helping me and for the tips!!!

Sorry my bad english

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Welcome to the nuthouse!

thank you for welcoming me so well!!!

Here my plant recieves direct sunlight. I'm from Brazil so I think my bougie will grow well, here is definitely a warm place. Do you know if it thickens fast?

Thanks for the knowledge!

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Percussive, thunderous drumbeats fill the sky, dancing on lines of panflute melody...signaling not only your arrival, but also.. THE FEAST! Glad you have heeded the enticing song of the woody dwarves. They stand in quiet solemnity.. welcoming you here, to the Tiny Forest.

‘Tis a wellspring of shared knowledge/experience that you’ve “dug your pickaxe” into.. here! Drink when you need, offer up/share when you can.

All this! ...listen to Carol.

Sidenote: NICE bougie! Definite potential noted... it will be a lot of fun/knowledge gained in development.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

🤓
Thank you very much!!! it makes me happy

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Indeed.. a healthy bougie pushes almost UNREAL amounts/lengths/widths of growth.. they want to ... “envelop” everything around them to aggressively “grab” light and produce more and more flowers in attempts of reproducing.. little bougie monsters that “eat up their weight in groceries”.. and so on..

🤓
Cool! Thanks

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
thank you for welcoming me so well!!!

Here my plant recieves direct sunlight. I'm from Brazil so I think my bougie will grow well, here is definitely a warm place. Do you know if it thickens fast?

Thanks for the knowledge!

Opa, Brenno, tudo certo? Sou de São Paulo, você de onde é?

Bougies thrive in Brazil, they are native here, and they love as much sun as you can give them. In fact, they need sun in order to flower.
If you leave a sacrifice branch it will thicken pretty fast, and after you chop it down it backbuds easily from old wood.
Keep it healthy, and PLENTY of water, I am watering mine twice a day this summer.

Welcome to the forum!

brennobonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Opa, Brenno, tudo certo? Sou de São Paulo, você de onde é?

Bougies thrive in Brazil, they are native here, and they love as much sun as you can give them. In fact, they need sun in order to flower.
If you leave a sacrifice branch it will thicken pretty fast, and after you chop it down it backbuds easily from old wood.
Keep it healthy, and PLENTY of water, I am watering mine twice a day this summer.

Welcome to the forum!
Olá!!! Eu sou de Brasília.

Thanks for the help! My bougie recieves direct sunlight in my backyard. I'll pay attention about watering. Do you know if bougies accept defoliation?

I'm enjoying the forum. Have a lot of information.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the help! My bougie recieves direct sunlight in my backyard. I'll pay attention about watering. Do you know if bougies accept defoliation?

I can tell you that my pink pixie takes defoliation very well. I also find that it comes back very strongly when I grow out long canes and then cut them back very short.

Top Bottom