Bougainvillea problems

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Trying to figure out whats wrong with this tree. Leaves are mostly facing downward like in the picture. Many are turning slightly yellow on the edges and dropping (can see the tip yellowing in the picture). Have been losing alot of leaves everyday. I have been battling aphids, but feel like I have them mostly under control. I pick off 1 or 2 most mornings, but never a huge amount. I have been fertilizing with bougain once per month like in the instructions and watering roughly once per week while its inside. Currently in an east facing window with a grow light as well. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20200513_085408.jpg
    IMG_20200513_085408.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 22

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd recommend putting it outside and making sure the soil is drying out before watering.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey @keithl.
Doesn't sound like bugs are the issue. I pick them off mine as well.
How long do you keep inside.... if temps are warm enough get it out while you can.
Whats type of soil is the vine in? Do you let dry out before watering? What type of fert are you using?

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Its been inside all winter. Temps are finally going to be warm enough outside in about a week and will then be out all summer.

Right now its still in the soil I purchased it in. It does look to be a decent blend, but it came from Puerto Rico and it appears to have slightly higher organic than I normally use. It does dry out completely between watering. I let it really dry a few times to encourage flowering which seems to work. Flowers are popping up everywhere and it has constantly put on new growth all winter. Its just the last couple weeks when it started looking a bit sad and it started dropping leaves. New growth is still coming out on the tips, but havent noticed any new leaves replacing the dropping old ones along the branches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my experience, bougainvillea in a pot wants to dry, but not "too much." It is a very fine line. My pink pixie does exactly what you are describing if I go a couple of days to many between waterings.

If you are having bugs, this plant will tolerate a neem solution sprayed on stems and leaves.

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely possible I have been letting it dry too much. Hoping to get it healthy enough to get it repotted into a more familiar soil mixture this summer. Watering is a bit of a guessing game right now with the extra organics than I am used to, so have been letting it get pretty dry since I know they really dislike overwatering.

Have been using neem with limited success. It seems to get rid of most of the bugs for a week or so, but they keep coming back. I have only been doing 1 spraying since most bugs are gone after. Do you find it better to spray every week for awhile? How long do you normally go? Definitely a bit annoying keeping the tree isolated from everything since I dont want the aphids spreading to everything else.

Top Bottom