Bougainvillea Progression

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About a year ago I made a conscience effort to rehab a neglected Bougie. The first picture was a year ago just after a repot. Good soil and Bougain Fertilizer was all it really needed.
Time Cap Pic.JPG

The two pictures below is after the first styling and about a month later after flowering.
first style.jpg
2015-12-24 22.20.43.jpg
Here is a good shot in full bloom but the shape was lost. I know its a bit tricky to get full bloom and keep the shape due to the flowering on the new growth but it is something I will try to achieve. This was three weeks ago.

2016-08-03 17.23.03.jpg
More to come!

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After the flower show ended I defoliated and wired. The picture below is before defoliating and wiring.

2016-08-19 16.44.34.jpg

Here is how it looks today. The money shot will have to wait until next summer when its in full bloom again.

2016-08-20 06.59.19.jpg

2016-08-20 06.58.07.jpg

The last picture is the back of the tree which is looking pretty good also.
I would have liked to put more movement in the branches but they kept breaking on me.
Suggestions to make this tree better are welcome.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great pictures. Like seeing the progress. Bougainvillea's have so much character.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My mom was cleaning out a closet and came across some of my father's old Bonsai In California magazines which she gave to me. I was looking through them and there was one of my father's trees in Vol 15 from 1981. I remember the tree well from many years ago but was not sure what happened to it. My father passed about 8 years ago so obviously I couldn't ask him. Then I noticed it was in the same pot as the tree in this thread but it was a much taller tree than this one. So I asked my mom if she remembered anything about this tree and she remembered the whole top of the tree dying. So what I am thinking now is this Bougi is the left side of my father's tree in the pic. Here is the pic of my pops tree and the tree as it looks today.
What do think?
20170218_173556.jpg 20170218_141344.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Tieball and Cadillac. I am going to enjoy the deadwood while it last. It is a bit soft but has been that way for several years now.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
very nice... I have a bougie stump that I have no idea where to start.. :(

Dont have any carving skills neither any idea on which style i should go for..!

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
very nice... I have a bougie stump that I have no idea where to start.. :(

Dont have any carving skills neither any idea on which style i should go for..!

Lets see a pic and maybe you will get some good suggestions.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, that is sweet, and I agree, definitely looks like your father's tree. Wonderful.

And I like the graceful lines of the white bougie. Really nice.
Thanks Leo. The red boogie has not seen his best day yet. Haven't got that full bloom money shot yet but it will happen.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice, tight flowering. Good horts in shorts!!!

Looks like the flowers have a bit of a green hue to them, do they open white?

Now THIS is a tree that belongs in a @Roy Minarai pot......time to hit the piggy-bank!!!:eek:;);):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Agree with @Leo in N E Illinois , sweet lines for a peaceful state of mind.....:oops::oops::oops::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes they open white. This is going to be a fun tree to buy a pot for and may happen soon. I'm thinking round, glazed with decorative legs. I will look into Roy's pots.

Top Bottom