Bougainvillea Progression

Reaction score
i don't see very many leaves??? do you remove them to get more flowers mine's still has the leaves but is flowering will post pics

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i don't see very many leaves??? do you remove them to get more flowers mine's still has the leaves but is flowering will post pics
I have several Bougies and I will tell you my theory. If you look at my post in this thread you will see after I repotted I got a lot of green growth followed by flowering. This phase is good for developing the branch structure of the tree but the flowers will be outside the design you seek. So if the roots have room to grow you will get good branch growth. I will always get flowering and it doesn't mater if the soil is dry or wet or if the tree is root bound or not. When the tree is near root bound in the pot the green/branch growth will be minimal but you will still get flowering. This is a good thing If you have your branch structure where you want it.
My Bougies in pots self defoliate during the end of flowering for some reason. My landscape ones do not. This one is already popping new growth and will look wonderfully green in a month. I will post a pic.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also wanted to throw a third tree in this thread. I just picked up another Bougi with a nice base. I got it at a local landscape nursery. The roots were growing thru the drain holes of the pot into the ground. This is a 30 gallon pot so it doesn't look as big in the pictures. I love finding trees a landscape nurseries because you don't get the inflated bonsai price. I got this for cheap and may go back and get another one that was almost as nice.

new bougi 2.jpgnew bougi.jpg

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 217250

Looks great!:cool::cool::cool:......new container in future?

Yes, I'm on the look out for a pot. The pot (and tree) in the pic are awesome. I'm looking for a pot with this shape and feet with a nice glaze. I'm finding the big ones are hard to find.

Bougi pot pic.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does the Bourgainvilla back bud well on pruned back branches and when drastically trunk chopped?

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does the Bourgainvilla back bud well on pruned back branches and when drastically trunk chopped?

Yes they back bud on chopped trunks. The trunk on my new one will need a chop at some point but I will hope for back budding before I chop to be safe. This is a different variety than my other Bougies so I can be 100% positive it will back bud on a chopped trunk.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This, I believe, is the variety called Pixie Queen. I have a few of them growing at my house in the Palm Springs area. I have noticed that they like to send out branches with solid yellow leaves. At first I thought it was some unique sport, but now it seems that it does it often. In the case of yours, it appears that the solid yellow has become the dominant leaf color. It may show some variegation as the new branches extend, but I do quite like it as it appears. It will be quite a psychedelic contrast when it's also covered with magenta flowers as well.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This, I believe, is the variety called Pixie Queen. I have a few of them growing at my house in the Palm Springs area. I have noticed that they like to send out branches with solid yellow leaves. At first I thought it was some unique sport, but now it seems that it does it often. In the case of yours, it appears that the solid yellow has become the dominant leaf color. It may show some variegation as the new branches extend, but I do quite like it as it appears. It will be quite a psychedelic contrast when it's also covered with magenta flowers as well.

I googled Pixie Queen Bougainvillea and I think you are correct. Thanks soo much for the feed back. I actually like the yellow leaves and am looking forward to this tree's future yellow leaves or not. I just want to make sure it is healthy so hoping once it warms up around here this tree will really get moving.

Top Bottom