Bougainvillea Repot(s) on Board?

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey guys, looking for some of your input and experience with Bougs.

I live in Zone 6b, and although this tree is hardy 4-9 I still have to prepare for winter and find some solutions.

First question: I want to develop these over the next few years, and would love to build some horizontal roots/neubari. Do Bougs do well with planting on wood/tile? I've heard they love to be pot bound, which makes me think not.

Second, best advice for winter months? We haven't had much snow the last cpl winters, maybe a couple days with 5 inches, but mostly just cold Temps. I live in Northern WV 6B. Best advice? Will be planting in pumice, Akadama, and lava and probably some fir or pine bark to lower ph. Maybe toss some kanuma in there too.

I'll take advice on trunk chopping too. I'm thinking chop the two that have tall trunks to create some taper. Will unfortunately lose all branches doing this and won't get to see it bloom next year, but I'm not against it since I have two more that Im not thinking of chopping yet. #TheLongHall

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20200818_171636.jpg
    20200818_171636.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200818_171641.jpg
    20200818_171641.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Second, best advice for winter months?
I bring mine indoors when the nighttime temps drop below 50. They have a southern exposure and grow lights. I put them back out in the spring when nighttime temps are 50+.
Will unfortunately lose all branches doing this and won't get to see it bloom next year,
They bloom off of new growth, so if it's healthy it will most likely bloom.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Carol, maybe I'll get some grow lights for this winter to do the same. Do you have any thoughts on growing on a board or tile?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks Carol, maybe I'll get some grow lights for this winter to do the same. Do you have any thoughts on growing on a board or tile?
Sorry, no. Never tried it.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
In FL they’re indestructible. I have seen some massive trunks with nebari, none of which I was allowed to collect. 😭 I don’t see why they wouldn’t though as long as they’ve got sand, sun and water they’ll grow. Anything else is luxury for Bougies down here! Lmao. I see people asking for them to be taken out because they grow so fast they’re out of control!

Top Bottom