Bougainvillea stock direction

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Ripped these two out of the landscape along with another I gifted away about two years ago. Grew a little too vigorously and thorny and weren’t flowering where they were planted. These things are hardy as hell. They had virtually zero roots left after I destroyed their known existence. The first one has a lot going on up top and not much laterally below. Going to grow some whips this season and try and set a couple of thread grafts. Gravitropism lead to the current branching as I just let them grow since I planted them in these pots and recently clipped them back. No idea what the nebari looks like underneath aside for those strange aerial roots forming to the right base of the first guy.

The second one I was thinking maybe a lifted broom type design. Oh yeah I took a dremel to that one for a “lightning strike affect”. Just experimenting, I don’t know. These are my first two specimen I’ve ever worked on for bonsai purpose. I consider myself less than a year in. Any direction you might see in these? Overall potential?

Lou T

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I can post better photos if that helps with perspective.

Top Bottom