Bought a little Calamondin today.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
So… after been searching the net for decent size Kinzu with no luck, I decided to purchased this monster Calamondin from a house plant nursery near my house. I saw it a couple weeks ago and it’s been on my mind….. didn’t pull the trigger before because it was huge ( the trunk is about 5 inches thick). I have a green house but from my research Calamondin can survive down to 20 degree. Gonna be doing some air laying soon for bonsai.
20DB7925-FB45-440C-A5F9-0872384D0A57.jpeg35F8CF6E-0335-495F-BE24-F5434EF47824.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the temperature, I've brought mine in for the winter. I currently have a navel orange with fruit ripening indoors. The Calamondin fruit is VERY tart. Mine is WAY smaller than yours, but still just a patio tree for me, not really bonsai.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm not sure about the temperature, I've brought mine in for the winter. I currently have a navel orange with fruit ripening indoors. The Calamondin fruit is VERY tart. Mine is WAY smaller than yours, but still just a patio tree for me, not really bonsai.
Is your Calamondi fruiting all year round ? We took some fruits to made juice like lemonade and OMG it was 100x better than your regular lemonade. It’s very tart but the peels are sweet so I smashed the peels and put in it too, the smell was amazing lol

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have to agree that frozen is dead.
It is quite a beauty. Can you share the name of the nursery?

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a calamondin that survived some mild winters here in Spain (9b) but in 2021 we reached -10ºc, and it was too much for the upper part of the tree.

20210323_171624.jpg

When the coold ended, from the root stock (unkonw vaiety) two shoots sprouted , and this year 2022, I had made some grafts into them with small kinzu material.

I don't now if it will work, but is cristal clear that in the next coold wave (may be in 50 years), It'll need some kind of protection. ;)

Cheers and good luck with yours.

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Is your Calamondi fruiting all year round
Seems like it sets fruit in the late summer and they ripen during the winter, never really kept track. The fruit on my Calamondin was really small, the navel oranges are bigger.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would have to agree that frozen is dead.
It is quite a beauty. Can you share the name of the nursery?
It’s not so much a “nursery” , they only have 2 Calamondins and the other one (smaller) is not for sale. The name of the place is Plants Alive, they are mainly a plant rental business for events and house plants/succulents seller.

Top Bottom