Bought a shishigashira maple, Now what?

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm relatively new to this (bonsai and the forum), but due to my impulsive nature I went ahead and bought a tree I know nothing about.

Its a shishigashira maple and just looked so cool to me I couldn't help it. I was looking for advice on care, watering, styling, etc. Is it any different than a regular Japanese maple? Is it a hopeless endeavor? I read somewhere that this strand of maples is bad for bonsai. Anyway, I threw it in a bigger pot (didn't mess with the roots) when I got home and live in Northern Georgia for context.

Heres the photos:

IMG_9394.jpg
IMG_9400.jpg
IMG_9396.jpg
IMG_9395.jpg

Thanks all,

Colin

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cool! I've had mine for a year now. Repotted in spring and it's doing great.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/wulfskaars-shishigashira-maple-lions-head.50792/

Our weather is a bit different and I have no other experience with japanese maples. I think southern CA is much drier than GA, so I keep mine in dappled sun/shade and it seems to like that. Other people say that they should get morning sun and avoid mid-day and afternoon sun. When I was keeping it out in the sun, the leaves got a bit crispy. They seem to love the dappled shade a lot.

I water daily, but repotted into a more well-draining soil than what it was in. I also fertilize during spring and summer.

Many people make bonsai out of these, so don't be discouraged if you like the tree!

I plan to air layer a couple branches off mine as both a way to get more trees and also to practice for the air layering the main trunk, since it's grafted.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What the hell was in the Pajamas?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are you growing this on a balcony?0078AA20-8D56-48BD-84F4-5E1D4822CB70.jpeg

Reaction score
Cool! I've had mine for a year now. Repotted in spring and it's doing great.
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/wulfskaars-shishigashira-maple-lions-head.50792/

Our weather is a bit different and I have no other experience with japanese maples. I think southern CA is much drier than GA, so I keep mine in dappled sun/shade and it seems to like that. Other people say that they should get morning sun and avoid mid-day and afternoon sun. When I was keeping it out in the sun, the leaves got a bit crispy. They seem to love the dappled shade a lot.

I water daily, but repotted into a more well-draining soil than what it was in. I also fertilize during spring and summer.

Many people make bonsai out of these, so don't be discouraged if you like the tree!

I plan to air layer a couple branches off mine as both a way to get more trees and also to practice for the air layering the main trunk, since it's grafted.
Thanks for the reply! I’m guessing mine is grafted too? Anyway I was looking through your post about getting it to lose its leaves if it doesn’t get too cold. Did you end up doing anything for it over the winter? I think this worries me the most.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It should do ok if you give it that morning sun and rotate it every so often. Also it will help the fine folks here give you better, more location specific advice if you add your location OR growing zone to your profile. 😉

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for the reply! I’m guessing mine is grafted too? Anyway I was looking through your post about getting it to lose its leaves if it doesn’t get too cold. Did you end up doing anything for it over the winter? I think this worries me the most.
It's probably grafted but the seam doesn't look as bad as mine.

No, I left it alone in winter and the leaves all fell off themselves.

It should do ok if you give it that morning sun and rotate it every so often. Also it will help the fine folks here give you better, more location specific advice if you add your location OR growing zone to your profile. 😉
I agree with 19Mateo83 that someone from you're region will give you the best advice. Good luck and nice tree!

Top Bottom