Bought bnew bonsai.

rocktrns

Seed
Reaction score
Hello I am new to bonsai keeping and just brought 2 bonsais the lady i bought it said the first one was 4 years old and the bigger one ws 18 years. Can you please help me analyse these to define there species and how to take care of them also how can you tell how old they are?
http://rockrns.imgur.com/all/

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You didn't ask what species they were before purchasing them?

rocktrns

Seed
Reaction score
Yes I have a ficus and a hawthorn I came to this bonsai site to get extra feedback and advice.

Brain Child

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome.

It doesn't look like either of those trees are 18 years old. I'd guess 4 or 5 at the most.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
First off. . . Welcome to the Nuthouse. It would be most helpful if you updated you location. This will help other members of the site to offer the most accurate advice.

Congrats on the trees.

Blake

James H

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
With the ficus, depending on where you are living you could move it outside in a partially shaded area and let it enjoy some fall sunshine. They will take night time temps into the 50's. You might want to look into a bonsai soil or create your own mix and possibly repot it next spring. A lot of time the store bought trees like that are potted in peat or ground coco fiber.

When I got my last ficus that was kept indoors its previous live I placed it behind my fence so that it would still get light but not bombarded with it. Then slowly moved it into full morning sun. It loved and it and has put in a lot of nice new growth. Good luck with your new trees.

Top Bottom