Bought my first pine

Mashu

Sapling
Reaction score
I went out to some retired doctor's (who has apparently been doing bonsai for about 40 years) bonsai nursery in Maryland and was moved emotionally by this pine for some reason. I promptly bought it up in my excitement. When I finally got home to admire it I started removing some of the pebbles as I thought they didn't quite work with this tree to find that this tree is pretty much entirely planted in mud! I feel as if this isn't the best growing environment for my tree, but also realize now might not be the best time for a repot. What would you guys recommend I do?
20180602_145307.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Too late to repot, but scrape away the top 1/3 of the soil, aerate the remaining, and fill it back in with coarse aggregate.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
I went out to some retired doctor's (who has apparently been doing bonsai for about 40 years) bonsai nursery in Maryland and was moved emotionally by this pine for some reason. I promptly bought it up in my excitement. When I finally got home to admire it I started removing some of the pebbles as I thought they didn't quite work with this tree to find that this tree is pretty much entirely planted in mud! I feel as if this isn't the best growing environment for my tree, but also realize now might not be the best time for a repot. What would you guys recommend I do?
View attachment 195493
I like it, but get it outside in as much sun as you can.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lovely tree and I agree with above, that tree need sun but I guess you know it already. I also agree on the repot time not the best time to do it now.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 195493
Out of curiosity who/where did you buy this from? Best of luck with the tree.

Top Bottom