Bought Online Pine Reverse Taper

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I also bought a Japanese black pine from eastern leaf nursery big big mistake the tree was a total mess wire embedded in the trunk all needles cut almost flush, does not even come close to what they advertised on their web sight they said that is the way they do it in Japan .

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I remember seeing that tree and l also couldn't believe any respectable nursery would sell a tree like that.

I think replanting at a different angle as suggested is a good option or planting into a deeper pot to hide that "lower trunk"

At the very least you can use this tree to learn on and save up for better material when you've gained more experience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Plant it in the yard where you will not see it. I would be pissed off at myself every time I see this tree.... Throw it into the trash and you will only be upset once or better yet send it back to the seller. Can't believe anyone would be selling such tree!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thing is healthy and one-of-a-kind, if you can't make this a conversation piece, you lack vision.

If you lack the understanding of why a conversation piece is important, you lack something you need to have vision.

Flipper.

Sorce

Weaponman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm pretty new to bonsai and this site. I've learned so much just reading through the forum and resources here. Thank you to everyone that contributes to help us newbies. Well, I made a purchase online because of the convenience factor. The tree is a Japanese Black Pine and was fairly cheap, less than 100 bucks. I won't mention where I bought it, but I did contact them. After looking at my pictures they said, "this is a perfectly healthy tree. We won't entertain any refund or replacement. Good luck". They didn't offer any advice either! And I'll never buy from that nursery again.

I've stared at it for 2 weeks and haven't touched it. I just keep watering it. It's definitely top heavy and hasn't fallen over. That's a win I suppose. I've read about ground layering but I'm not sure that's an option with pines, or where to start. Can I bury the skinny trunk and be okay? Maybe it will sprout some roots if I bury that pencil trunk in big pot?

Seriously, is this a 'proper' bonsai or some style I don't know about? It looks like someone's mistake to me. And is it worth it? I have a few other trees and I'll be getting a better pine soon. I'm tempted to eat the cash I spent and toss it in the garbage. Any advice appreciated.
Looks just like it’s the same piece of shit I got from Brussels bonsai like five years ago. It had wire buried in the bark but with a skinny base. I complain so much they sent me another one for free. It had the same fucking problem. Now it’s just a reminder of what not to do.

Top Bottom