Bought Online Pine Reverse Taper

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would the jbp experts support the idea of reducing to a point above the bottom two branches (leaving a stub for die back), using the right branch as the leader and the left branch as the first branch? Or remove the left one too, in order to have the sharp bend stand out?

Replant at an angle where that graft line is at or just below the soil line. This would give the tree really dynamic movement and taper when the branch thickens to become the new trunk.

I dont know if its possible to do based on the current root system or not. Also there doesn't seem to be needles close to the trunk on those branches so maybe not feasible that way anyway unless you can get backbudding there. It would be a lot of work to transform an ugly duckling into a swan, but what a swan it could be!

Maybe you could wire some more crazy bends into that next trunk section while it is still thin and get a real serpentine look to it...

I think my imagination is getting a little out there😨, but I think this tree could be a gem in disguise?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd put it in a tall pot, buried almost to the top of the ugly ball, score the bottom and sides of the ball with a a razor, dust the scars with rooting hormone, and train it into a cascade.

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well I have your address!

Good Paying attention!

Gimme a while to gather shipping funds, I'm still holding into a box for @Mrs.Grimmy !
And about 6 others!

Sorce
I'm not on this forum much and since your feedback is usually pretty solid or makes me laugh even I knew the least favorite.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where I disagree with Brian, is that I'd keep the lower wire on. Some black pine nurseries actually leave the first wire on forever - allowing the seedling to grow over the wire and causing fast initial thickening of the base.

AGREED:cool:!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Turn entire plant clockwise about 85 degrees.
Find correct size scoop pot.
Wrap lower trunk with sheet moss and muck to build up good transformation to fatter part.
Plant in scoop pot in correct time of year, or in the summer if so inclined.

Remove lower foliage on right side of plant
Build new apex out of left side of plant now pointing skyward.

Do not let foliage hang below bottom of pot. This is semi cascade.
Of course all those straight branches would be wired and wrapped and twisted within the styling.

One idea.
2CBB6372-66B1-4C8A-8C3F-614D0B832180.jpeg

2CBB6372-66B1-4C8A-8C3F-614D0B832180 copy.jpg

AppleBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wrapping the lower trunk with sheet moss and muck as well as a few scars in places will start new roots to form while you are enjoying the tree. Roots will form under the moss all on their own.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Turn entire plant clockwise about 85 degrees.
Find correct size scoop pot.
Wrap lower trunk with sheet moss and muck to build up good transformation to fatter part.
Plant in scoop pot in correct time of year, or in the summer if so inclined.

Remove lower foliage on right side of plant
Build new apex out of left side of plant now pointing skyward.

Do not let foliage hang below bottom of pot. This is semi cascade.
Of course all those straight branches would be wired and wrapped and twisted within the styling.

One idea.
View attachment 259337

View attachment 259336
I like the way you think! Anymore ideas or information will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
Not sure why this is being discussed. Cut your losses and put it on the burn pile. Try again with better material.

Frog

Yamadori
Reaction score
Not sure why this is being discussed. Cut your losses and put it on the burn pile. Try again with better material.
Nah....no need to burn it, it’ll be good practice material if nothing else. It can be fixed with time, if I don’t kill it.

Top Bottom