Bought some Zelkova and Hornsbeam today. It is ok to shape trimming while its in dormant ?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Went to Meehans today and got 5 larger pre-bonsai Zelkova and Hornsbean and 1 small leaf chinese elm. All of them are in dormant and don't have any leaves at the moment. Is it ok for me to cut some of the unsightly branches and to start shaping them now or should I wait for the spring? Thanks

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be ok but personally I do almost all of my pruning beginning late winter.
What size were your Zelkova? I was up there a couple months ago and ran out of spending money before I got all I wanted. Imagine that!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think they were in 5g plastic pots, I didn’t know they had a half price sale on some of them. Now they only have a few left, there were this monster trident maple that was already sold that I wished I got to it earlier. I’ll take some pics tomorrow when it’s bright outside again.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t do any Zelkova pruning or work until spring starts.
You might just wait to find out which branches are alive after your winter ends....that’s one of the reasons I wait.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably not until after Christmas. Don't have any money now anyway.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Lol, we are on the same boat. Let me know when you're ready and if I'm free i'll drive up too

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would love that but Im only free on weekdays, weekends is when Im busy so I doubt I can make it there with you guys.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just there last month and also picked up a big zelkova and Chinese elm. They do the half off sale every year. I would also be interested in a group trip there. Doing it on a week day sounds like a good excuse to use a vacation day.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was just there last month and also picked up a big zelkova and Chinese elm. They do the half off sale every year. I would also be interested in a group trip there. Doing it on a week day sounds like a good excuse to use a vacation day.
Maybe we could plan it start of the new year?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pics or it didn't happen!

I'm holding you'se to it.

Have fun!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both can be pruned pretty much anytime... I’ve done my pruning of elms and hornbeam now, Im dormancy. I could have waited till spring but I’ve got repotting to do in spring so it’s just less to do.. i really do not believe it makes a difference. Aside from that, both species are stupid tough.
I’ve also wired now on those pruned.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you! I think I'll prune some of them tomorrow to kill winter boredom.

Top Bottom