Bought these mumes that I plan to use for cuttings

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just received 2 mumes (kobai & peggy clarke) I ordered last week. Because they’re grafted, I’m going to plant them in the yard once they recover from shipping. However, I’m unsure if I should do this since my mumes that I got last year had some dieback this spring. I suspect that the dieback was caused by frost during the time when the saplings were flowering. Would it be a better idea to keep them in my garage since it rarely ever falls below freezing? Any of you guys have mumes that are exposed to frost? What’s your care technique?

I also was planning on taking cuttings come this fall (Once the trees recover), but maybe that’s a bit too soon? Next year (if they remain healthy🤞) I’m going to try layering a small branch on both trees. I know they don’t layer well but after seeing @Wires_Guy_wires success, I figure its worth a try.

Anyways, here’s picture of the Kobai (I’ll post more later since my phone isn’t uploading all pics). It doesn’t have as much foliage as the peggy clarke and what are those black spots?

DF74B164-1B89-45E6-BD4F-D8CA0F39FC25.jpeg

peggy clarke pics aren’t uploading at all🙄

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got mine to root but both the airlayer as well as the mother plant have been leafless for 2 summers, so I threw them away.
Never found out the cause, but I don't think it was the layering that did it.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I live in NYC Staten Island to be exact. I placed my mume on the ground outside in my backyard in a plastic bag. I had no issues at all and I potted it this March and is doing extremely well. You can see from my thread pics of her in buried in snow. I have also read keeping them in a garage will work and even a refrigerator until March.
Hope this helps. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/prunus-mume-progress-thread.48862/

1628388937360.jpeg

Last edited:

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I live in NYC Staten Island to be exact. I placed my mume on the ground outside in my backyard in a plastic bag. I had no issues at all and I potted it this March and is doing extremely well. You can see from my thread pics of her in buried in snow. I have also read keeping them in a garage will work and even a refrigerator until March.
Hope this helps. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/prunus-mume-progress-thread.48862/
It seems you didn't have the issue of frost during flowering (lucky you). This is my primary concern. I read if the mumes are exposed to frost while flowering, fungus enter the site thus causing dieback or death. I'm unsure if it's true or not, but I'm incline to believe it since both my mumes tried to flower this past winter (I was completely unaware since I don't bother my trees in winter) and experience some frost during the process. And of course in spring there was some dieback. However, I should note that the flowers never fully opened.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Umes should be pretty frost-hardy above the ground. The roots are susceptible to frost but if you keep them in ground, should be OK. However they are prone to random dieback. Looking at your plants I'd wait till you have more branches/foliage. Or take just few cuttings and preserve some fresh growth just to be sure.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its been relatively warm here these passed couple of days and its suppose to stay this warm until next week. I figure to check the mumes to see how the weather is affecting their flowering and I think they’re getting ready to flower?

Kobai
17D1D65B-E28D-4406-9E0D-CBA2E9949CF1.jpegABDFDC7D-791B-492D-893A-27E6C9E56DFC.jpeg5FE2DB92-C220-4FC6-9239-23AF606B068A.jpeg

Peggy Clarke
89DDD19C-CC53-4741-8BEF-5AF6FA63517A.jpegB30678B7-1FFB-4275-8615-962CC32F8976.jpeg0B465FD5-7FBA-4644-85C4-7B56CBE00B19.jpeg

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First time I hear this. My mumes do not seem to seem this trait.
I got this from brent at evergreen. And @Dav4 mentions it in this thread

Post in thread 'Prunus Mume'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/prunus-mume.6707/post-180788

Also, this year I lost a mume and the other had some serious dieback both of which I got from Brent in Fall ‘20. I thought frost on flowers buds was the cause of this, because both mumes had swollen buds when I examined them, but I just learned mume’s buds swell some time in the Fall so I don’t think either one was flowering.

I now believe (as @R3x mentioned) the roots suffered frost damage. I believe this is what really happen, because the one that died was in a 3 gallon pot that I didn’t mulch (I thought since its in a 3 gallon pot with organic potting soil, it should be ok). Also, both mumes dropped their leaves late september ‘20. However, this year, the one that survived just started dropping it’s leaves.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
prunus species are known to be very prone to fungal issues. Really applies to plums, apricots, peaches, and cherries. They are in the same family with Hawthorns, Apples, firethorns, and Roses which also have the same tendency. I don't know if the flowing has anything to do with it. Just spray preventatively with a fungicide.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Its been relatively warm here these passed couple of days and its suppose to stay this warm until next week. I figure to check the mumes to see how the weather is affecting their flowering and I think they’re getting ready to flower?

Kobai
View attachment 412155View attachment 412156View attachment 412157

Peggy Clarke
View attachment 412158View attachment 412159View attachment 412160
I am completely confused now after your post as your pics clearly show flower buds and they look big for December as I thought maybe me bloom much later. My tree leaf or flower buds haven’t even budged yet as the are still tiny. Maybe it has to do with zones ? I am located in NYC and my prunus incisa has lots of swelled flower buds, but my mume isn’t showing anything special lol thanks for sharing

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just received 2 mumes (kobai & peggy clarke) I ordered last week. Because they’re grafted, I’m going to plant them in the yard once they recover from shipping. However, I’m unsure if I should do this since my mumes that I got last year had some dieback this spring. I suspect that the dieback was caused by frost during the time when the saplings were flowering. Would it be a better idea to keep them in my garage since it rarely ever falls below freezing? Any of you guys have mumes that are exposed to frost? What’s your care technique?

I also was planning on taking cuttings come this fall (Once the trees recover), but maybe that’s a bit too soon? Next year (if they remain healthy🤞) I’m going to try layering a small branch on both trees. I know they don’t layer well but after seeing @Wires_Guy_wires success, I figure its worth a try.

Anyways, here’s picture of the Kobai (I’ll post more later since my phone isn’t uploading all pics). It doesn’t have as much foliage as the peggy clarke and what are those black spots?

View attachment 389920

peggy clarke pics aren’t uploading at all🙄
This picture clearly shows evidence of fungal infection on the leaves. Typical cause is overwatering or over retentive soil. weakens the plant so it is more susceptible to fungal infection.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am completely confused now after your post as your pics clearly show flower buds and they look big for December as I thought maybe me bloom much later. My tree leaf or flower buds haven’t even budged yet as the are still tiny. Maybe it has to do with zones ? I am located in NYC and my prunus incisa has lots of swelled flower buds, but my mume isn’t showing anything special lol thanks for sharing
I just got it like that😜. Jkjk that is weird though. The city area tend to be a tad bit warmer than it is on the island (at least that’s what the weather app says)
Have the leaves on your mume curled over summer? Also did you check the buds?

This picture clearly shows evidence of fungal infection on the leaves. Typical cause is overwatering or over retentive soil. weakens the plant so it is more susceptible to fungal infection.
I guess it was in wet conditions before arriving to me. I doubt its weak now. A few weeks after this picture was taken, the tree started growing a new shoot. It got about 10” long. Because it was growing so strongly and I didn’t know what it was, I forgot to treat it. I’ll make sure to treat it when leaf buds swell in spring

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess it was in wet conditions before arriving to me. I doubt its weak now. A few weeks after this picture was taken, the tree started growing a new shoot. It got about 10” long. Because it was growing so strongly and I didn’t know what it was, I forgot to treat it. I’ll make sure to treat it when leaf buds swell in spring
I would only treat if symptoms reoccur.
My Ume flower buds are swelling now and some have already opened. They are housed in green house for the winter. The heater only kicks in if the temperature inside drops close to freezing and only keeps the frost off. The ventilation fan is intermittent on a timer to maintain some air circulation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here a few pics I took of mine so you can see what I was talking about. Hope you don’t mine
Michael
57D101B9-4700-45CE-B9E3-32BA95650A87.jpeg3C3DEC87-62F1-4A84-B437-57FE202022B4.jpegF4429FE6-50CC-4E6F-A400-E9B2367C6CA4.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m here on the island as well and my Ume in the ground have just finished dropping leaves. Potted Ume are nowhere near flowering yet either. If yours really get going with flowering followed by leaves you will need to offer protection tips from frosts thereafter.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here a few pics I took of mine so you can see what I was talking about. Hope you don’t mine
Michael
Those look like leaf buds. On my mumes there’s 3 buds (middle bud is leaf and side buds are flowers) or sometimes 2 buds (1 leaf, 1 flower). I could be wrong though. I swear on my kobai there’s a couple spots with only 1 bud and its just a flower bud (perhaps the swollen flower bud makes it hard to see the leaf bud🤔).

If yours really get going with flowering followed by leaves you will need to offer protection tips from frosts thereafter.
This is something I’m worried about, but I hear leaves emerges independently of flower buds

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is something I’m worried about, but I hear leaves emerges independently of flower buds

In my experience leaves are usually starting to emerge as flowers fade and drop. I usually get flowers blooming in March. with Yours swelling I’d keep it safe from any frosts.

Top Bottom