Bougie...back in October...and current photo.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Back when I repotted it in October. (Yes, I understand I need a larger pot...but upgraded to the size originally told. Going up 2" from what it was originally in)

image_zpsd43916e0.jpg

Taken today...measured new growth...we're talking 7" of new growth on the longest branch.

image_zpsd31693b0.jpg

image_zps37ceb0e1.jpg

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's the thing about bougies; you pretty much need to let them run to get blooms. (at least that's been my experience.) And then cut them back again after blooming. -- I like the feeling yours gives. I could see it leaning off a river bank or hillside. :)

Why does it need a larger pot?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's the thing about bougies; you pretty much need to let them run to get blooms. (at least that's been my experience.) And then cut them back again after blooming. -- I like the feeling yours gives. I could see it leaning off a river bank or hillside. :)

Why does it need a larger pot?

:eek: thank you Dan!

It has years before it is really something...but it grabbed my newbie eyes. (While on a mission trip there was a very old one slanting Bougainvillea at the guest house in the city. We weren't to stay the night...but team leader's flight had been canceled so we lost a day. But the Bougainvillea tree was simply amazing and the bracts really intrigued my entire family.)

I mentioned pot...because I have been told by a few to repot it into a larger pot...after I put it in this one. So some do feel that way. But...I absolutely LOVE the pot. Had it shipped from the UK. And have no plans to repot anytime soon. So I really appreciate your saying you feel the pot is fine.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bougie need lots of sun and some "drought" to bloom well. When you are ready to induce it, let the pot dry out between watering. And yes, let it run until they bloom then prune hard after.

The craziest bloom I've seen is when the plants are stressed enough that the leaves fall (not that I am recommending this) and the tree have nothing but flowers. Note and keep in mind that in ground even when dry for months, the roots still find some water far from the plant. Also, in (bigger landscaping) pots, total drying takes much longer than in bonsai pots.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bougie need lots of sun and some "drought" to bloom well. When you are ready to induce it, let the pot dry out between watering. And yes, let it run until they bloom then prune hard after.

The craziest bloom I've seen is when the plants are stressed enough that the leaves fall (not that I am recommending this) and the tree have nothing but flowers. Note and keep in mind that in ground even when dry for months, the roots still find some water far from the plant. Also, in (bigger landscaping) pots, total drying takes much longer than in bonsai pots.

I've a bougainvillea book...it says to let the leaves wilt then water. So I go that route...I'm patient...I can wait for bracts. It gets a lot of sun...with a 4x4sky light over it as well as a full big window. And across the room another huge window. (Sunroom)

Just...recall one saying not to allow it to bloom...to pinch them off...to help thicken the trunk. (Posted by someone here)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just...recall one saying not to allow it to bloom...to pinch them off...to help thicken the trunk. (Posted by someone here)

If that is your goal (and not flowers)...then do not even let the leaves "wilt". Water a bit earlier...and keep the leaves fully supplied with water and nutrients to keep them photosynthesizing. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If that is your goal (and not flowers)...then do not even let the leaves "wilt". Water a bit earlier...and keep the leaves fully supplied with water and nutrients to keep them photosynthesizing. :)

Thanks! I'll try that route for awhile then. But allow it to dry out some...they can easily root rot. (The book says)

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That thing has grown well. I like it! Knowing that they have delicate root systems, and knowing that you have repotted fairly recently already, and knowing you love the current pot, sounds like you know that you should leave it as is for a good while and it should tell you when it needs a bigger pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That thing has grown well. I like it! Knowing that they have delicate root systems, and knowing that you have repotted fairly recently already, and knowing you love the current pot, sounds like you know that you should leave it as is for a good while and it should tell you when it needs a bigger pot.

Thanks...yes it's grown like a bad weed. ;) And as I said before...I do so love this pot. :eek: I actually dropped this guys lantern on it about a week ago. :( wigged me out. Glad I wired the tree in the pot! Thought it looked cute with the lantern the frog held out over the part of the bonsai pot the tree wasn't leaning...on the table...at night it would glow and look real charming.

image_zpse72d61db.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I water my Bougie regularly and it blooms profusely. I do trim it back to show the bracts when they appear, then the little white flowers from the bracts are more visible too. The thing I remembered from my past was that a Bougie blooms better when its more rootbound for some reason.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I water my Bougie regularly and it blooms profusely. I do trim it back to show the bracts when they appear, then the little white flowers from the bracts are more visible too. The thing I remembered from my past was that a Bougie blooms better when its more rootbound for some reason.

ed

Thanks...I've heard they like to be root bound as well. Food for thought.

You trim your Bougie once the bracts appear...how so? You trim branches or...remove foliage?

Top Bottom