Bougie Broom

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I’d start a thread for this Bougie, just for documentation purposes. It’s been posted in plenty of other threads because it mostly speaks for itself. It blooms and the colors are beautiful. The tree however has quite a few flaws that if I had the original tree now, I would have chopped very much different.

I obtained the tree as nursery stock in 2013 and chopped it hard in spring of that year. I wish I had a photo of that chop. I left way to much length on the initial branches and did not address the roots properly. I was fairly new to Bonsai and was just happy to have the tree.

That following year at re-pot I shoved a rock under a section of the roots because, I guess I thought it needed it.

This last year I Did away with the rock and decided to embrace the spaghetti roots and raised them higher out of the pot than they had been. As more surface roots thicken I will expose more and more. I also guy wired most of the outside branches to encourage an up and out growth pattern.

This winter a house guest slipped and knocked this tree breaking off 1 key branch and snapping another. I tried to keep my cool and just show concern for her, but inside I wanted to scream for falling on one of my trees. The damage wasn’t awful and with wire I brought a near by branch over to fill the void left by the missing branch.

Other than guy wires, I have only wired the one replacement branch. This tree has been mostly clip and grow.

It’s been overall low maintenance. Most springs I need to give a heavy dose of iron for the leaves to green up, but when mid summer hits, the tree just explodes with new leaves and beautiful bracts/flowers.

I like the current pot its in and I will leave it in this pot for a few years without repot to see how it responds. Typically I’ve re-potted every year. You can see from the last photos that the canopy is a tad thin on the far right side where the branch that was broken once was. I think once the foliage and canopy extended outward a bit more it’ll just improve.

anyways. Here it is.
ABAA5B0D-1C1B-4778-93C3-4EFE79A3D278.jpeg
4B523122-8C27-4F94-B362-9DA7E5900606.jpeg
1C1D2372-B48B-477F-81E2-0B96D37AC14C.jpeg
94158E78-98B8-495D-B237-8A602317F2B8.jpeg
21256F01-3D2D-4519-85B2-4B36AC6CB172.jpeg
A03A579D-1325-4FDC-82AF-276BEC615EA7.jpeg
41572ED2-4545-4791-8FB5-17BB44A29AA1.jpegBFA11156-E53A-4D39-A03E-FA2503150255.jpeg

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Beautiful bougie! I can't get mine to bloom to save my life, I did everything like letting them wilt before watering, almost full sun every day, defoliate and cut all new grow too. I even bought the Bougainvilla fertilizer with no luck. They all bloom like crazy when I first bought them too. :rolleyes:

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Beautiful bougie! I can't get mine to bloom to save my life, I did everything like letting them wilt before watering, almost full sun every day, defoliate and cut all new grow too. I even bought the Bougainvilla fertilizer with no luck. They all bloom like crazy when I first bought them too. :rolleyes:
I wish I knew the secret as landscape plants in FL I swear they bloom year round. As bonsai... IDK. Lol. Mine is a chop rescued from a pile and potted up. It’s interesting. I’ll let you know once it gets going what I do so maybe you can do the same and yours bloom. I know they bloom on current growth so pruning might cause you to miss blooms. Next year wait to prune and just let it go. See what happens.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thing is... I have 4 bougie bonsai, 1 large and 3 shohin size and I tried diff techniques on all of them to see which ones works and I am 0-4 so far lol. In Florida, I know they bloom like crazy pretty much all year round. I am so jealous of you, but then you can't keep pines and maples and such so I feel a little better 😉

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. This tree just blooms. I wish had the secret, but I do nothing special. Water regularly. Organic cakes on top and weekly organic liquid. Every year I try to stop the blooms so I can get more leaf growth. But eventually I stop trying to keep up. It doesn’t put on the greatest twigging or branching each year either.
I wish I knew the secret as landscape plants in FL I swear they bloom year round. As bonsai... IDK. Lol. Mine is a chop rescued from a pile and potted up. It’s interesting. I’ll let you know once it gets going what I do so maybe you can do the same and yours bloom. I know they bloom on current growth so pruning might cause you to miss blooms. Next year wait to prune and just let it go. See what happens.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thank you. This tree just blooms. I wish had the secret, but I do nothing special. Water regularly. Organic cakes on top and weekly organic liquid. Every year I try to stop the blooms so I can get more leaf growth. But eventually I stop trying to keep up. It doesn’t put on the greatest twigging or branching each year either.
Hedging it perhaps?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thing is... I have 4 bougie bonsai, 1 large and 3 shohin size and I tried diff techniques on all of them to see which ones works and I am 0-4 so far lol. In Florida, I know they bloom like crazy pretty much all year round. I am so jealous of you, but then you can't keep pines and maples and such so I feel a little better 😉
There are pines and maples down here but not nearly as many!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Typically I’ve re-potted every yea
Do you think that's necessary? I've always been under the impression that they like to be somewhat rootbound. Did you choose the shallower pot for tree health or just for aesthetic reasons? Anyway, I love this tree, it doesn't look any worse for wear after it's accident.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think that's necessary? I've always been under the impression that they like to be somewhat rootbound. Did you choose the shallower pot for tree health or just for aesthetic reasons? Anyway, I love this tree, it doesn't look any worse for wear after it's accident.
Thanks Carol. I don’t think it is necessary. The pot has always been full of the roots the following year at re-pot. I am however going to leave it be for at least another year in the current pot. The pot itself was chosen entirely for aesthetic reasons. I wanted something wide and shallow. I’d like the canopy to reach to the pots extents over time.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
No need. I’m happy with its development as it’s clearly healthy. I don’t want to start garden scraping it just for a bit more growth that may not even work.
I was thinking it would keep it from blooming. But for development Walter Pall swears by it as well as the nursery bonsai people I’ve talked to. Primarily for labor reasons but it can also be used as a development technique for fine twigging and ramification quickly.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I
I was thinking it would keep it from blooming. But for development Walter Pall swears by it as well as the nursery bonsai people I’ve talked to. Primarily for labor reasons but it can also be used as a development technique for fine twigging and ramification quickly.
Im def aware of the technique but I don’t plan on using it with this tree. I use it on a few different Siberian elms I’ve got. But that’s about it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seem to remember that for less flowers and more leaves, a high nitrogen fertilizer can help.
Noted. At this point I’m going to let it ride and next year I will put that into practice. I’m going to see if leaving it to get a bit more root bound will affect it one way or another.

Top Bottom