[bougie] Hoping for design suggestions, am thinking to remove the lowest branch on this guy:

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I usually don't like smaller bonsai but really love the trunk on this one, I'm not quite sure what to do with it though and would appreciate any thoughts!

One thing is that I'm having trouble picturing it with those lower branches (holding one down in the picture to show), I don't see a good final design involving those (am picturing a strong trunk with a tight, angled canopy...am very open to suggestions on styling though!) and as such figure to get rid of them if they're not part of the final design, I mean why waste resources letting them grow right? It's just the adage of 'don't cut lower branches' that has me hesitant to remove that lowest branch (and probably the one right above it, that comes out of the back of the tree)

FWIW I've got this planted at a more extreme tilt than it will eventually be, I do picture it being tilted but not as much as it is now!

a.jpg

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
First off...it helps to take a photo straight on not looking down for a better visual.

Example...my bougainvillea cascade. One can get a better feel for looking at it like such...than down on it as you are doing.
View attachment 165568

Wow what a beautiful bougie!! I haven't let any of mine flower for a while but have a few that are at the point where I'm expecting them to flower at any moment (one is getting re-potted soon, which seems to always trigger blooms in susceptible bougies and hibiscus!)

Here's some better photos (it's in a new pot, I wasn't sure what to put in my first DIY concrete pot and ended up choosing this one, am just in love with its trunk!!), the first is dead-on but a couple off-angles to show the top of it that's blocked by foliage in the dead-on picture)
19700217_200041.jpg

19700217_200250.jpg 19700217_200330.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That could be fun material...So...how long ago did you collect it? Since it went from collection then to a bonsai pot? Just curious. Looks like you went ahead and removed the branches that concerned you as well.

Thanks, It was not always a full cascade. It came as a semi cascade...But I seen potential in the material. I won't bog your thread with photos of my own. But if interested...here is a before photo before angle change. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/bougainvillea-cascade-new-front.26981/

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Su2,

did you remember to put feet on the concrete pot, so water can drain away ?

[2] No need for the stones, unless they are to hold the tree in the pot.

[3] Try not to experiment on the trees you like the most.
Do it on the expendables.
Learn to keep them healthy, even if there are no bonsai pots.

And as a tease ---------------- that's not a bougainvillea, the image below
is a bougainvillea.o_O
Good Day
Anthony

Pink Pixie - note for growing on and training --------- no bonsaiee pottee.;)

pink_p10.jpg

Top Bottom