Bougie into a Cascade?

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just followed this thread from start to present for the first time. You did a remarkable job and you had much excellent advice.

It is a joy to look at.
I just did the same. It looks incredible, especially considering that it only took two years or so.

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Been quite some time since I have updated how this bougie is doing.

At the end of October 2019, we held the African Bonsai Convention 5 in Pretoria South Africa. We were lucky enough to have Rafael Torres (Bonsai Sense), Bob Mahler (Kifu Bonsai) and Mauro Stemberger (Italian Bonsai dream) as our headliners for the convention.
74459015_1335929619921468_1580469057788837888_o.jpg

I had this bougie on show and it was in full flower .
73145893_1336172219897208_7935996203089526784_o.jpg

During the course of the 4 days, I was lucky enough to have each of them spend time with me to discuss the future of this bougie and how what would be the best way to proceed. Firstly all of them were very impressed in my vision of taking the tree and turning it into a cascade and the progress in 2 1/2 years.
Bougie.jpg

Bob Mahler actually used this bougie as part of his final discussion on presentation of bonsai in shows and competitions. I had cut off some flowers from a massive bougie outside the event and put those down on the table below the bougie. Bob said that he really liked that as it definitely added a great feel to the presentation of the bonsai.

Bob.jpg

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Rafael, Mauro and Bob all gave me exactly the same advice on this bougie.

1. The pot is too big and too deep. It overpowers the tree. The shape of the pot is very elegant and suits the style of the tree but I need to find a pot that is half the size (Top to bottom) and then also smaller width wise. It would also be suited to a glazed pot in a colour that would compliment the colours of the flowers - Either a nice green or a blue would work well.
74445012_1334584586722638_855680471751720960_o.jpg

2. When I get it into a better pot, I will need a nice wooden stand to put it on to ensure it is raised up nice and high off the table. If not a wooden stand, maybe some wooden blocks to put it on or a custom made metal stand that will compliment the tree. Just as long as it is raised up.
73475147_1334584573389306_5088554008214241280_o.jpg
3. The angle of the tree in the pot needs to be changed ever so slightly. It needs to be twisted back slightly to ensure that the bend at the bottom of the trunk gets highlighted more. Currently the bend at the bottom is almost hidden and it needs to add to the character of the overall bonsai.

73472739_1334584600055970_6433137711145549824_o.jpg

4. The ramification of the branches is very poor. All of them understood that it is only 2 1/2 years since the initial change was made but all of them advised that I need to work hard on improving the ramification.
5. The space between the canopy and the trunk is distracting. I need to grow the canopy out at the top and bring it closer to the trunk.

This picture was taken today (10 March). After the convention, the bougie lost all its leaves and flowers. I cut the longest branches back and have left it to grow out. Once it had grown out, I wired some of the branches and have brought the canopy closer to the trunk. Right now I am happy with how it is developing and I have the next 5 months to try and find a better pot.

IMG_4630.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you virted a shorter pot and a stand?

I missed March madness up there. Nice.

Before I went up there and saw that I was thinking about how so much mass in trunk hanging over the side almost needs that much pot beside it to make it feel comfortable.

The Deadwood makes it a little rugged, but I think anyone is going to feel a little uneasy if this seems precariously perched, cause let's face it, those flowers are beautiful!

You can't really go much wider either right?

I think I'd like to continue seeing it come out of such a narrow hole anyway. Kinda plain but maybe with a simple design on the lower right, something to put visual weight there to anchor it better.

Oh, but I really just wanted to say, no rush on that pot eh?

I kinda don't want it to be "over" so soon!

Though something tells me the first next one won't be the best last one.

This is pretty easily in my top 10 Bonsai Nut trees.

Sorce

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have you virted a shorter pot and a stand?

I missed March madness up there. Nice.

Before I went up there and saw that I was thinking about how so much mass in trunk hanging over the side almost needs that much pot beside it to make it feel comfortable.

The Deadwood makes it a little rugged, but I think anyone is going to feel a little uneasy if this seems precariously perched, cause let's face it, those flowers are beautiful!

You can't really go much wider either right?

I think I'd like to continue seeing it come out of such a narrow hole anyway. Kinda plain but maybe with a simple design on the lower right, something to put visual weight there to anchor it better.

Oh, but I really just wanted to say, no rush on that pot eh?

I kinda don't want it to be "over" so soon!

Though something tells me the first next one won't be the best last one.

This is pretty easily in my top 10 Bonsai Nut trees.

Sorce
Hey Sorce

Good to hear from you mate and appreciate all the feedback.

When I originally rotated the tree, I did some virtuals on it but I haven't done any of late. I will do a few and post them and get some feedback from all.

The pot is definitely way too deep and half the depth would probably work and slightly smaller width wise. It will be difficult to balance it though and it will have to be secured to the bench to prevent it from falling over.

Let me do a few virts and will post them and see on what is the next step to improve on this.

Chat soon
D

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks so much Leo. I haven’t been able to find a new pot for it. Still looking. But I am happy with the progress.

That pot has the patina of use and time. If it were brand new it would be a mediocre match, but it has a nice patina, its age makes it a better match than many options. I would not be in a rush to change the pot.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have transformed this piece. Well done!

I do grasp ones love of unglazed pots with bougies. But will riddle you this. A glazed pot would allow the trunk of the cascade to contrast more I think.

Food for thought. Honestly a personal choice.
result_1598718894641.jpg

Top Bottom