Bougie into a Cascade?

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This bougie is recovering nicely after the repot. There are loads of buds developing and new leaves opening.

The deadwood area around the canopy wasn't pretty so I did some carving to try and match the feel of the rest of the dead wood on the trunk. It needs to be painted with lime sulphur too to add some protection to it.
IMG_6056.JPG IMG_6057.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow I missed that

How bout a pic without that dirty ass tray!

Sorce

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So during taking the picture I got to looking at the canopy and how I am going to develop it in the future.

My first problem is the current canopy is growing away from the front.

The yellow circle is way to the front.
IMG_E6499.jpg

Looking from the side you can clearly see the problem. That growth has to move to left in the image below (Backwards when looking from the front)

IMG_6500.jpg

Looking closer at the canopy from the side I have some options to work with. In the orange circle there are 2 buds busy developing. I can leave those buds to develop and once they are strong enough, cut it the long straight branch right back and use 1 of the 2 buds as my future upper canopy. OR...

I cut it back now to the yellow line and use the current growth off to the left to develop the new upper canopy. Maybe if I cut it back to the yellow line, more energy will go into the buds (Orange circle) and they will develop faster.

IMG_6504.jpg

The lower part of the canopy is not too much of a problem as the branch below is still flexible enough to be moved forwards and set in place over a season or 2.

As the lower branch current stands
IMG_6510.JPG

If I wire the branch into position, it will look something like this.
IMG_6509.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like your plans, continual improvement.

It is spring or early summer in your area, I would cut at the yellow line as soon as possible, your plan will work. Of course, look at the health of the tree, before you cut, wait if you think it needs to wait, but from the photo it looks like it could handle the cut. Your plan is a good one to my eye. Wire the other branches this season, before they get too stiff to move easily.

One caveat, I did not go back and re-read the whole thread, so I have no idea how long this tree has been in development. My thought is, you have a lot of trunk, only a small part of it is alive, and not a whole lot of foliage. To survive long term as bonsai, trees need to grow. If it were mine I would have a plan where perhaps 2 consecutive years, in every 5 year cycle I would let it grow out, extend and go somewhat wild. I'm not saying this is mandatory, just a thought, to consider. Perhaps do your cut, to see if it back buds, wire to shape. Show it at your local show this year & or next, then give it a could years to go wild. Then bring it back in to show shape. But I am not a bougie grower, my single bougie is a small shohin, and it needs this sort of ''let it go wild'' every not and then. I'm growing it under lights most of the year, so it is not in ideal conditions, which is perhaps why I think they need a grow out year or two. So based on your own observations, go with or ignore my thought. Health of tree comes first once a tree has reached the quality level this one has. Yours is quite nice.

I did not appreciate the scale of this tree until I saw your hand with it, it is quite a bit bigger than a shohin. Nice.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Be really careful about that deadwood. The only way that I think you will keep it is if you keep this tree out of the rain and only water with drip irrigators or by hand - soil only. If the wood gets wet - say goodbye.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Six years and holdin' strong. Photo from 2015...took awhile to get it to flower.:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D
Gets a full head of cabbage pretty quick once it's outdoors, so it's gotta' be a good rain to penetrate. We only water soil around here, though in the height of summer I'll give my conifers a shower.:cool:

DSC00456 (1).JPG

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like your plans, continual improvement.

It is spring or early summer in your area, I would cut at the yellow line as soon as possible, your plan will work. Of course, look at the health of the tree, before you cut, wait if you think it needs to wait, but from the photo it looks like it could handle the cut. Your plan is a good one to my eye. Wire the other branches this season, before they get too stiff to move easily.

One caveat, I did not go back and re-read the whole thread, so I have no idea how long this tree has been in development. My thought is, you have a lot of trunk, only a small part of it is alive, and not a whole lot of foliage. To survive long term as bonsai, trees need to grow. If it were mine I would have a plan where perhaps 2 consecutive years, in every 5 year cycle I would let it grow out, extend and go somewhat wild. I'm not saying this is mandatory, just a thought, to consider. Perhaps do your cut, to see if it back buds, wire to shape. Show it at your local show this year & or next, then give it a could years to go wild. Then bring it back in to show shape. But I am not a bougie grower, my single bougie is a small shohin, and it needs this sort of ''let it go wild'' every not and then. I'm growing it under lights most of the year, so it is not in ideal conditions, which is perhaps why I think they need a grow out year or two. So based on your own observations, go with or ignore my thought. Health of tree comes first once a tree has reached the quality level this one has. Yours is quite nice.

I did not appreciate the scale of this tree until I saw your hand with it, it is quite a bit bigger than a shohin. Nice.

Hi Leo

Thanks so much for the advice. I will definitely take that to heart and work with it. Yes it is a considerable size tree. I will take another picture tomorrow with something to give it a good size reference.

I agree with you on the health of the tree. It hasn't been one full month since I repotted it so I might be too hasty in trying to do something with it. I personally do not think the tree will suffer if I cut it at the yellow line but I also don't think it will be too much of an issue to give it another month or 2 before making the cut. Like you said, health of the tree comes first. I am going to start with some light fertilizer this weekend and slowly build up the strength solution on that over the next few months.

I will wire the bottom branch this weekend as that has got good movement on it and if I bring it forward, it will only make it more appealing and help with the overall flow of the tree.

Thanks again for the advice

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Be really careful about that deadwood. The only way that I think you will keep it is if you keep this tree out of the rain and only water with drip irrigators or by hand - soil only. If the wood gets wet - say goodbye.
Thanks BNut

It is a real concern of mine as I know that the deadwood is very soft and rots easily. I have put lime sulphur on it but I also know that, that is not the best solution. I was told that super glue really hardens the wood but here in SA it only comes in 25ml tubes and smaller so I would need to buy about a 1000 to try and cover all the deadwood.

Currently I only water the soil but it has been out in the rain a few times. I think it is best that I watch that and get a temporary cover for it. I am also looking into wood hardeners and try on small areas around the back of the tree that is not in view to see how it looks before doing the whole tree

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Six years and holdin' strong. Photo from 2015...took awhile to get it to flower.:confused::D:D:D:D:D:D
Gets a full head of cabbage pretty quick once it's outdoors, so it's gotta' be a good rain to penetrate. We only water soil around here, though in the height of summer I'll give my conifers a shower.:cool:

View attachment 168803
Thanks LanceMac

Have you put any protection on the deadwood?

Dorian Fourie

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Top Bottom