Bougie question

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love Bougainvilleas, I have two, small ones though. One is maybe 3/4" trunk and the other about 1". Long story short (and to my question) I have a friend that lives in Flordia (land of bougainvilleas. He's a former Bonsai keeper, he was into it for 20 yrs but had to stop do to work travel. Anyway, we talk every once in a while and last week he was telling me how he had to "remove" (rip out:() a Bougainvillea from his brother in laws place. He said it was at least 6-7" on the trunk:eek:

So that got me to thinking. I actually know him through a fly fishing website I run, and my main business is I run my own custom fly rod building business. So the other day I told him (Mike) because he has been wanting a custom rod from me, I told him rather than exchanging cash, I'd build him the fly rod of his dreams in exchange for him collecting and shipping me a really nice Bougie that had at least a 4" or more trunk. He said sure no prob.

So I have a few questions maybe you guys can help with....

#1- I know he is a former bonsai guy, but probably not use to shipping trees. How should I tell him to pack/ship the tree when it collects it?

#2 when I get it (probably gonna be next month) That will be October, he's in FL I'm in Mi...that's a bit change for a tree from Fl to Mi in a matter of days. Any best way to acclimate it?

#3 Even though he is a former bonsai keeper, is there anything specifically I should tell him to look for in a boughie before he collects/ships it to me?

Thanks ,
Steve

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Bougainvilleas, I have two, small ones though. One is maybe 3/4" trunk and the other about 1". Long story short (and to my question) I have a friend that lives in Flordia (land of bougainvilleas. He's a former Bonsai keeper, he was into it for 20 yrs but had to stop do to work travel. Anyway, we talk every once in a while and last week he was telling me how he had to "remove" (rip out:() a Bougainvillea from his brother in laws place. He said it was at least 6-7" on the trunk:eek:

So that got me to thinking. I actually know him through a fly fishing website I run, and my main business is I run my own custom fly rod building business. So the other day I told him (Mike) because he has been wanting a custom rod from me, I told him rather than exchanging cash, I'd build him the fly rod of his dreams in exchange for him collecting and shipping me a really nice Bougie that had at least a 4" or more trunk. He said sure no prob.

So I have a few questions maybe you guys can help with....

#1- I know he is a former bonsai guy, but probably not use to shipping trees. How should I tell him to pack/ship the tree when it collects it?

#2 when I get it (probably gonna be next month) That will be October, he's in FL I'm in Mi...that's a bit change for a tree from Fl to Mi in a matter of days. Any best way to acclimate it?

#3 Even though he is a former bonsai keeper, is there anything specifically I should tell him to look for in a boughie before he collects/ships it to me?

Thanks ,
Steve

Steve I take my bougie with me from Florida to Ohio, never bothers it. I have to keep it from freezing though, they are even more cold delicate in a pot of course. They grow like a weed and will grow well under good lighting during the winter, last fall I had to keep mine under lights from late September until I hit Florida in December, a full 3 months and it not only put out bracts it flowered too. I would ask your friend to look for a Pink Pixie Bougie, it has the smallest leaf size and bract size of all the Bougie's. The bracts are a deep pink and the little flowers in the Bracts are white. They do not do well under 50 degrees though, none of the Bougie varieties do .

ed

GerhardG

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just spent the afternoon fighting a bougie.....my hands are stuffed, I hate this species! :-D

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Tell him how tall a stump you want (shorter the better). Tell him you need the roots to stay damp and since it is probably planted in sand you won't be able to keep any native soil on the roots. So he should cut up several weeks worth of newspaper in 1-2 inch strips. These should be soaked in water and wrapped around the roots -- tied on securely with twine. The tree -- stump, roots, wet paper and all -- should be wrapped in a plastic bag that is taped TIGHTLY so no water will leak. Then it should be put in a cardboard carton and more newspaper (DRY) should be packed around it. Ship via the fastest speed you or he can afford.

It will be too cold for acclimatization. Have a pot/grow box, and fast-draining soil waiting for it and put it in there immediately. It will want a sunny indoor location that does NOT freeze, and it probably would prefer to have some bottom heat available to it or warm lights over it.

Water well as soon as it is planted. NEVER let the soil get even close to soggy. These are dry-land plants and do not like wet feet. Fertilize if you like.

If it has thorns, he might snip those off for you. Otherwise, there's nothing to look for if it is that specific plant he is digging up.

Good luck. I'd guess you have a 40% cnance of success.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Steve I take my bougie with me from Florida to Ohio, never bothers it. I have to keep it from freezing though, they are even more cold delicate in a pot of course. They grow like a weed and will grow well under good lighting during the winter, last fall I had to keep mine under lights from late September until I hit Florida in December, a full 3 months and it not only put out bracts it flowered too. I would ask your friend to look for a Pink Pixie Bougie, it has the smallest leaf size and bract size of all the Bougie's. The bracts are a deep pink and the little flowers in the Bracts are white. They do not do well under 50 degrees though, none of the Bougie varieties do .

ed
Ed...how are they at wiring? (Pink Pixie)For their natural growth is straight up I read. Just curious...though, honestly...it sounds as if the poster is getting a Bougie from someone's landscape. So I doubt he can be all selective. In my opinion...all bougainvilleas are amazing. And...Sam told me you can defoliate them. So you can bring the leaves smaller by doing so.

Top Bottom