Bougie Question

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey all!
So I have read that bougies will not flower from old wood... does this mean that they will not send out new leaves from old wood? I'm starting to get some bare areas that wont seem to fill in. My vine always seems to look at its worst this time of year!
Thanks!
IMG_9719.jpgIMG_9720 copy.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
do you offer this tree a good cut back after blooms have spent?
Hi Darlene! Thanks for the response!!!
I have been pinching off a bit of new growth as it comes in but not a serious cutting back after blooms. So... is there no need to worry about cutting all the way back to old wood? This Bougie has some level of bracts on it year round... but fall and winter she really pops!
People have created bonsai from old bougainvillea stumps with no foliage what so ever
Here is a pic of the vine the day I "rescued" her from the neighbors landscaper 2 years ago....
I have been very happy with they way she has come along!!!
IMG_4058.jpg

Early last fall.....

IMG_5671.jpg

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
it should pop a bud in that spot eventually. as you can see from how the tree was nothing when you started it will bud from old wood and with time it should bud where you need. my bougies throw new buds all the time on old wood and new wood. All i have to do is figure out the design part and ill be happy.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
it should pop a bud in that spot eventually. as you can see from how the tree was nothing when you started it will bud from old wood and with time it should bud where you need. my bougies throw new buds all the time on old wood and new wood. All i have to do is figure out the design part and ill be happy.
Awesome to hear! Those bare spots were starting to worry me! Thank you @theone420

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
One last question.... Is there a time of year best for "hard" pruning or is once the bracts start to fall off a good time?
Thanks!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
After flowering is a good time, and when it's hot. They'll bounce back quickly. And I'm sure it's plenty hot in AZ.;)

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Top Bottom