Bougie to hot?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Of course they do @Forsoothe! it's cool that they do. The tropical I lost to my propane tank freezing when our temps hit -37F did the coloring up as well. I love all Bougainvillea...but how compact you can make a Pixie makes them my favorite. The tight internodes 🥰 dreamy...

I was more concerned with the curling foliage. As it was discussed in a group I belong to not long ago. Coloring foliage for Bougainvillea isn't unusual as you point out.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thats good to hear, the leaves curling like that is a sign that its getting ready to flower then?
The leaves on mine do start to color up when they want to bloom, but don't curl up. I always repot in the hottest part of the summer when they are growing well, never missed a beat.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Compare the leaves to those in post #21. Not markedly different when new leaves are expanding!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Compare the leaves to those in post #21. Not markedly different when new leaves are expanding!
If that is normal to some cultivars...would be great. Nothing against you...but I always like more than one to confirm before I take a breath of air and sigh of relief. I had four bougainvillea I lost that first year when the freak polar vortex came through. I was gun shy of all tropical the following year. I just never seen it with the ones I had in the past. I had four different cultivars...which was the reason I paused. That...and the fact I know one who like I said repotted and defoliated...and never had leaf curl after that. So it wasn't the cultivar for them...but something else. Bought it with leaf curl for the cultivar color. What was the factor there? That's why I keep circling.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@LemonBonsai, Adam is busy with the convention. But did reply. I think the visual knots would have been apparent. So if you didn't see them...then you shouldn't have to worry about nematodes. But...what will kill nematodes is this scattered on the top of the surface of ones pot. I bought some since chojubai are known to get nematodes. I sprinkle on my pot occasionally for peace of mind.

Adam's reply...
Nematode damage is most often only first seen from leaf deformity, wilting, curling, off color.
The roots will have visual knots on them.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@LemonBonsai, Adam is busy with the convention. But did reply. I think the visual knots would have been apparent. So if you didn't see them...then you shouldn't have to worry about nematodes. But...what will kill nematodes is this scattered on the top of the surface of ones pot. I bought some since chojubai are known to get nematodes. I sprinkle on my pot occasionally for peace of mind.

Adam's reply...
Nematode damage is most often only first seen from leaf deformity, wilting, curling, off color.
The roots will have visual knots on them.
Hmmm ok. Well when I repotted I didnt look to to close at the roots, as I didnt want to disturb the plant to much, cause I just wanted it to grow. But I guess it wouldnt hurt to get some of that stuff and sprinkle it on just as an incase 🤷‍♂️ is there directions how to use it on the bag or just sprinkle a bit on the top every so often?

Also I read somewhere epsom salta could kill nematoad? Any truth to this?

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmmm ok. Well when I repotted I didnt look to to close at the roots, as I didnt want to disturb the plant to much, cause I just wanted it to grow. But I guess it wouldnt hurt to get some of that stuff and sprinkle it on just as an incase 🤷‍♂️ is there directions how to use it on the bag or just sprinkle a bit on the top every so often?

Also I read somewhere epsom salta could kill nematoad? Any truth to this?
I have never heard of Epsom doing such a thing.

I just put a little bit on the surface of my pot. Depending on pot size.

Don't stress it...there are so many factors before nematodes is looked at as a possibility. I myself would get some just for peace of mind like you say. But also look for scale and pests if anything is on the plant. Had the foliage been curled at all before the repot? Did it happen later? How long have you had it?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have never heard of Epsom doing such a thing.

I just put a little bit on the surface of my pot. Depending on pot size.

Don't stress it...there are so many factors before nematodes is looked at as a possibility. I myself would get some just for peace of mind like you say. But also look for scale and pests if anything is on the plant. Had the foliage been curled at all before the repot? Did it happen later? How long have you had it?
No it started curling and turning red once I put it in full sun. I did try and acclimate it but this is why I was wondering if it got to much sun. Its put put probably 4 to 5" of new growth since the repot. Ive had it for less then a year, this is the same one I dont know if you remember but I think it was you that directed me to the miracid for chlorosis in bougies. It worked like a charm and spit out the 5" of growth after repotting. Then when I put it into the sun after about a week of trying to acclimate it I noticed the leaves curling. At least a few of them

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No it started curling and turning red once I put it in full sun. I did try and acclimate it but this is why I was wondering if it got to much sun. Its put put probably 4 to 5" of new growth since the repot. Ive had it for less then a year, this is the same one I dont know if you remember but I think it was you that directed me to the miracid for chlorosis in bougies. It worked like a charm and spit out the 5" of growth after repotting. Then when I put it into the sun after about a week of trying to acclimate it I noticed the leaves curling. At least a few of them
That was Carol...

Coloring is normal... as stated above...and from Adam. So not all foliage curls. Just here and there. And when watered does it perk up? Or stay curled? It looks overall healthy. I wouldn't overly worry. Just monitor...maybe offer that crab mix for the pot. Watch for pests...

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That was Carol...

Coloring is normal... as stated above...and from Adam. So not all foliage curls. Just here and there. And when watered does it perk up? Or stay curled? It looks overall healthy. I wouldn't overly worry. Just monitor...maybe offer that crab mix for the pot. Watch for pests...
Yea not all the foliage is curled. Some are curled like a taco others are completely fine, water doesnt make it perk up no, atleast not from what I can tell. Ill keep an eye on it for now, and try and keep an eye out for neptunes harvest stuff. Amazon does not have it available to canada so ill find it somewhere else.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is something else you can get for it. Will look to see if I can find it mentioned over on a group I belong too. It was discussed not long ago.
Any update on this? (Im starting to think this is enviorment stress related because more leafs are looking like tacos and some leaves on my grapefruit are starting to curl like a taco)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any update on this? (Im starting to think this is enviorment stress related because more leafs are looking like tacos and some leaves on my grapefruit are starting to curl like a taco)
Half thinking not nematodes...if another pot is effected. Nematodes are found in soil.

I went to a Brazilian Raintree group. Since this is a common issue with them. Or can be.

The shells that I mentioned was in what ones can use. But needs down in the soil scratched in to reach them. Two people I trust shared these as treatments.

*Other things listed were. Nimitz, or avid.

*The chemical you are looking for is abemectin. The cheapest place to find it is is fire ant killer.
Avid has it as well as many other brands ..

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Forgive me, this is specious: Diagnosing without photos, -good photos of leaves in plan view, of upper and lower surfaces, side views, end views, several good views of the whole plant, etc. The term leaf curl in and of itself means nothing, zip, zed, zero, nada. On top of that, how many nematode species existing in Ontario are specific to Boogies and Citrus? May I go out on a limb and none?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My citrus Taco-curls/blows leaves if it drops below 50..

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
dont fret. we dont live super far away and i brought mine in under LED for a couple days and south window because we had the same storm systems, cold and rainy (under 50f in a few cases) after work today its going back outside we have 80* + sun and thunderstorms coming up and itll be out for the whole summer.

keep in mind i hardcut this to zero leaves about 2 mos ago and it took a little while for it to come back>on its way

20210602_212723.jpg

Top Bottom