Bougie to hot?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Throwing this out there...on a slight possibility. Did you check the tree for scale. Those sap suckers weaken a tree...and make the new growth not so strong when pushed. What I've read...is scale can cause leaf curl in bougainvillea as well...and also discussed elsewhere. (Made me pause because not seen that as a side effect on my tigerbark. But also different foliage thickness.) You mentioned checking leaves for pests. What about trunk and branches for scale?
Just checked, nothing that resembles scale, still didnt see any other insects when checking either. Could this be anutrient deficency?

Also do bougies do good in dry heat? Because right now in canada its very dry heat. Do they thrive in hot humid temperatures? Because theres not been much humidity here.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in NE Ohio. We don't have high humidity here for the most part. Never seen it on my bougainvillea.

Edit...Arizona has very dry heat most of the year. My friend who has many bougainvillea there has no leaf curl.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I live in NE Ohio. We don't have high humidity here for the most part. Never seen it on my bougainvillea.

Edit...Arizona has very dry heat most of the year. My friend who has many bougainvillea there has no leaf curl.
Hmm ok well I guess the next step is to check the roots no? If its nematoads ill find knots, if its not maybe the roots have been overwatered and it cant get water to the foliage at the very top?

Edit: or I could just try watering less and let it dry out for a bit, since the soil is very well draining.

Last edited:

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
20210610_175448.jpg
New symptom alert.
Black spots about 1 -2 mm in diameter. Looks flat. But it isnt in the leaf, some kind of sticky substance on the leaf. Looks to flat to be scale but not sure what it is. Either way its been sprayed down with neem oil and quarentined for now.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well what do you know. I've been trying to figure this out on mine all winter

So far, I'm pegging it to root issues. I think I was under watering at one point, and some died/rotted. I have seen no pests.

New growth looks good, old growth is still curled. I just brought it outside this week.

PXL_20210611_110500664.jpg

pxl_20210611_110452744-jpg.380124

We'll see when I repot this summer.

Attachments

• PXL_20210611_110452744.jpg
    PXL_20210611_110452744.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 117

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well what do you know. I've been trying to figure this out on mine all winter

So far, I'm pegging it to root issues. I think I was under watering at one point, and some died/rotted. I have seen no pests.

New growth looks good, old growth is still curled. I just brought it outside this week.

View attachment 380123

pxl_20210611_110452744-jpg.380124

We'll see when I repot this summer.
See mine is opposite, new growth is curled, old growth is completely fine 🤷‍♂️

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well an update on this one, I ended up moving it to a shadier spot away from the rest of my trees for a bit, I never did see any bugs on it but either way I sprayed down the tree a couple times with an insecticide soap. Gave it some strong fertilizer maybe 2 weeks ago, and now I have moved it back into full sun, and its exploding in growth! I count 40 growing points all the way from the very bottom of the trunk to the canopy.
20210706_061204.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Exploding with growth is good. I think letting it get slightly more dry between watering might help with the curl.

Bougainvillea come from Brazil, but not the rain forest. They come from more open southern Brazil where there's a mix of grasslands and wet-dry seasonal forests. They need sun, and large specimens can survive extended droughts, though small ones will dry up & die if allowed to go completely dry for more than a day or two.

Curling leaves may be due to keeping it too wet.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Exploding with growth is good. I think letting it get slightly more dry between watering might help with the curl.

Bougainvillea come from Brazil, but not the rain forest. They come from more open southern Brazil where there's a mix of grasslands and wet-dry seasonal forests. They need sun, and large specimens can survive extended droughts, though small ones will dry up & die if allowed to go completely dry for more than a day or two.

Curling leaves may be due to keeping it too wet.
Noted. although recentlly we have had rain probable 3 days in a row, and torrential downpour. not drizzle. When the leaves were curling it was during the hottest and sunniest part of our summer so far here

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I suspect that leaf curling is nothing more than temporary uneven growth of different parts of the leaves which ultimately equalizes at leaf maturity. Many, if not most leaves grow irregularly as they unfurl from being tightly packed in buds.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I suspect that leaf curling is nothing more than temporary uneven growth of different parts of the leaves which ultimately equalizes at leaf maturity. Many, if not most leaves grow irregularly as they unfurl from being tightly packed in buds.
Well i feel its either this or an enviormental issue, cause ita doing it again 🤷‍♂️ ill just let it do its thing
20210804_193859.jpg

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I get leaf curl like this on my red bougie every year before it blooms. It happens only to the leaves that are getting lots of direct sun. Right now only the top leaves have curled/red leaves because of where the plant is placed. The lower leaves which don't get as much direct sunlight have flat green leaves. It would worry me except I know it happens every year with this tree. Those areas are always first to flower.

Top Bottom