Bougie to hot?

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So im guessing this is because its getting to much sun and not able to cool its leaves off quick enough, but its been inside for a day and some leaves are still showing these symptoms. Is there another cause or should I just give it time to recover 🤷‍♂️
20210529_093653.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's coloring -up. That means it is getting ready for The Big Show! Keep watching at the terminals for clusters of tiny buds along a tiny stem that are the flowering buds, pretty soon (in weeks). The color of the edges you see foreshadows the bloom color: red means violet or red, lighter colors like lighter green or yellowish would mean a yellow or orange, etc. The darker the edges, the more intense the flower color. Lots of sun and water and ferts at label strength. Keep the flowers dry and deadheaded to last longer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of course...

None of that is true, pending the Giant Wrench thrown into the game which is bringing it inside!

Confuse less, Enjoy more.

Sorce

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's coloring -up. That means it is getting ready for The Big Show! Keep watching at the terminals for clusters of tiny buds along a tiny stem that are the flowering buds, pretty soon (in weeks). The color of the edges you see foreshadows the bloom color: red means violet or red, lighter colors like lighter green or yellowish would mean a yellow or orange, etc. The darker the edges, the more intense the flower color. Lots of sun and water and ferts at label strength. Keep the flowers dry and deadheaded to last longer.
Thats good to hear, the leaves curling like that is a sign that its getting ready to flower then?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Damn!

Just so long as it gets back out!
Or not!

That is quite a bit more "confusion" than I was expecting!

Just pointing out that the more we confuse our trees, the more they confuse us, that's a bad cycle to get in, extremely hard to get out of when we allow the internet to tell us what to expect, when we didn't tell the internet all of the information in the first place, then look for the thing we expected, and the "wonder" why we didn't see it, is the confusion.

Too many "wonders" is like having no control groups in an experiment. Leaves us spitting in the wind, unable to build a good collection.

Not picking on you...
Picking on the people who wouldn't ask and just start spraying shit on it!

Makes me think....how too hot could even be a thing with too cold so close.

I think that's too different, which would be enough to confuse it to death.
I put my tropicals out too early, near paid the price, I would guess your margin of error is smaller, so you may want to be even more careful.

Especially since..oddly enough, you see how backwards this is but true...
My early out ficus were already hit by scale and in survival mode, they may make it through for that reason.
Where going from this, "preparation for a big show", then seeing 3, is a swing enough to kill outright.

"Lemon" makes me a assume a warmer climate!

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have never had leaf curl on my pink pixie. So... 🤷‍♀️ not necessarily true.
View attachment 377607
NICE!

I’ve experienced this curling on the youngest of my chutes.. right before “christmas-time bloom”.. But none of the other bloom times.

Weird!

Also It’s worth noting, for comparison, that during that “Christmas-time bloom”, any chutes originating from older, more mature wood.. did NOT do that “curl slightly before” ..thing.

I’m curious about this now.

🤓

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
NICE!

I’ve experienced this curling on the youngest of my chutes.. right before “christmas-time bloom”.. But none of the other bloom times.

Weird!

Also It’s worth noting, for comparison, that during that “Christmas-time bloom”, any chutes originating from older, more mature wood.. did NOT do that “curl slightly before” ..thing.

I’m curious about this now.

🤓
My friend in Florida doesn't have curling foliage on any of her Bougainvillea. She has a slew on bougainvillea bonsai.

Yet...leaf curl has been noted for Bougainvillea as a specific issue. I recall reading about it before.

I also knew one. Who bought one with leaf curl...and after a repot and better medium it self corrected. Which has me curious about that. He had defoliated repotted it. Mind you...the one resided in Florida. I wouldn't think to repot now. If poster is still combating cold temps in their region.

I will say...there was one with leaf curl and Adam Lavigne addressed it. Since it might be prevalent...I went back to find the post on a group.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Image of Bougainvillea with leaf curl. I will Say the posters tree looks over all healthy above in original post. I would not go and repot this tree anytime with cold as a night factor.
Sharing for knowledge shared on this topic elsewhere.
FB_IMG_1622308948893.jpg
I copied and pasted Adam Lavigne's thoughts on it. For a possible perspective.

Adam's correspondence:
Well, except for the curling the leaves look ok. The pink is just from new growth. It's a chemical that acts as sunscreen for the new leaves.
So the next step is to look at the roots for nematodes. If you're watering enough and all other bugs, disease, and nutritional issues have been looked at, but the leaves still look stressed, that's your culprit, usually.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’m so fascinated.. it’s unbelievable!!

I will be watching more closely this winter.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m so fascinated.. it’s unbelievable!!

I will be watching more closely this winter.
Leaf curl is listed in disease/pest for Bougainvillea. I had never heard it was for blooming. Even root issues can bring leaf curl. So this honestly the first time in my years in the hobby...ever to hear it related to blooming.

So for sure interesting to see more than one claim it was signs of blooming. For Ume...yes...leaf curl is known sign for blooms to come. Never heard that for Bougainvillea. Ever...until now.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Leaf curl is listed in disease/pest for Bougainvillea. I had never heard it was for blooming. Even root issues can bring leaf curl. So this honestly the first time in my years in the hobby...ever to hear it related to blooming.

So for sure interesting to see more than one claim it was signs of blooming. For Ume...yes...leaf curl is known sign for blooms to come. Never heard that for Bougainvillea. Ever...until now.
I think it’s strange that it only happened to mine during the coldest bloom.... but that WAS before I figured out my indoor environment....

I guess we’ll see what happens this year..

🤓

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also keep in mind everybody that the 3 at night was canadas way of giving us all the middle finger. One week ago we were seeing night temps of 11, 12 lol. Everything should go back to normal starting monday, but yea canada is hard 😂

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Image of Bougainvillea with leaf curl. I will Say the posters tree looks over all healthy above in original post. I would not go and repot this tree anytime with cold as a night factor.
Sharing for knowledge shared on this topic elsewhere.
View attachment 377632
I copied and pasted Adam Lavigne's thoughts on it. For a possible perspective.

Adam's correspondence:
Well, except for the curling the leaves look ok. The pink is just from new growth. It's a chemical that acts as sunscreen for the new leaves.
So the next step is to look at the roots for nematodes. If you're watering enough and all other bugs, disease, and nutritional issues have been looked at, but the leaves still look stressed, that's your culprit, usually.
I did repot mine a few weeks back? I think. Didnt touch the roots to much tho, just knocked away some soil and repotted. However it bounced back quite well. How do I identify nematoads in the soil?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did repot mine a few weeks back? I think. Didnt touch the roots to much tho, just knocked away some soil and repotted. However it bounced back quite well. How do I identify nematoads in the soil?
Nematodes are microscopic...I'm assuming by damage left behind? I believe in chojubai gall is a sign of them. Assuming the same...for Bougainvillea. But asked Adam to be certain. I've not dealt with them in my pot.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There may be a pest/disease with leaf curl as a symptom, but this ain't it. Keep in mind that Boogies are a genus that includes 4 to 18 species depending upon who you ask. Pink Pixie has a small thick leaf which (to my way of thinking) may be a tetraploid and the leaves don't vary a lot, they are very uniform. They also don't color up much and inasmuch as the flower is a neutral pink, the color change in the edges would be modest because the flower is in-between dark violet/red and white. The more intense the flower color, the more the coloring-up is reflected in that intensity of color. So, since there are a lot of species it's not unusual that the different varieties look different. There's lots of differences in leaf size and shape, too. When the variegated with a white edge color-up they are most beautiful with three colors.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There may be a pest/disease with leaf curl as a symptom, but this ain't it. Keep in mind that Boogies are a genus that includes 4 to 18 species depending upon who you ask. Pink Pixie has a small thick leaf which (to my way of thinking) may be a tetraploid and the leaves don't vary a lot, they are very uniform. They also don't color up much and inasmuch as the flower is a neutral pink, the color change in the edges would be modest because the flower is in-between dark violet/red and white. The more intense the flower color, the more the coloring-up is reflected in that intensity of color. So, since there are a lot of species it's not unusual that the different varieties look different. There's lots of differences in leaf size and shape, too. When the variegated with a white edge color-up they are most beautiful with three colors.
I sent the photo to Adam Lavigne. I'm well aware my species is different. But he has much knowledge on bougainvillea. Curious his take...will share as soon as I get the info.

To put in leaf curl bougainvillea in a Google search. Nothing about to bloom comes up. 🤔

He did say...gall isn't a sign. So he asked for a photo. Waiting to hear back from him. He knows bougainvillea. 😉

Top Bottom