bougie - worth digging??

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got this chance to get this bougainvillea in spring.

It isn't super interesting but it is thick! I would say 8 inches wide.

It seems to have fairly large leaves for a bougainvillea and is a light purple (almost white).

20150416_192703.jpg 20150416_192656.jpg

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Heck yes! cut it fairly short and Stand back because it should sprout branches like crazy!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Send Sam a message...asking him any questions. Surely he will respond. As to how to go about doing a cutting. You can do thick trunk cuttings a well. So check out the top of this tree as well.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before the Chile Freddy Krueger comes to fetch his sweater?

Looks like airlayers might be easier and more interesting.
That's a big telephone pole!

Sorce

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah, pretty straight... That's the biggest drawback. It goes over to my house but my neighbor offered me the tree.

You can dig it if you want and then I can follow you to the Chilean airport, customs will never ever let that cross the border.

The problem is that all three branches are a third of the trunk... So that kinda kills it for me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This was a cutting...you don't need to collect it's roots. Find and interesting part of the branches and make work of it! On another bonsai group I go to...one had a larger cutting than this...with success! Food for thought.

image.jpg image.jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think I am going to look for a branch or something to cut and root... the base as is, seems not good at all.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I found a part in the trunk that is like 5 inch thick which seems way better!!! I am going to try that out. If it is a hardwood cutting, when exactly do I do this?

Do you tie it to the pot so that it doesnt move?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I found a part in the trunk that is like 5 inch thick which seems way better!!! I am going to try that out. If it is a hardwood cutting, when exactly do I do this?

Do you tie it to the pot so that it doesnt move?

I would wire it...just to anchor it in safely. I would think during the warm growing part of the season when tree is pushing growth? Isn't that when ones air layer? Your still wanting roots...right?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
this is way higher in the trunk, so no roots... I thought cuttings were really easy with these. Even as thick as 5 inch.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
this is way higher in the trunk, so no roots... I thought cuttings were really easy with these. Even as thick as 5 inch.

Right, no roots from a cutting...but...the time to take a cutting I would think would be the same time one would want to do an air layer. Both desiring new growth of roots is what I meant. So if it's pushing growth is when ones typically do air layers...then I would think during the growth and warm period one would want to do a cutting. Since desired new roots is the agenda...no? Though you may have a larger window of opportunity with cuttings...I honestly don't know.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was thinking that this wont have leaves to produce roots... Like a hardwood cutting, but being more a tropical tree... I got lost.

Top Bottom