Bougy re pot. (Defoliation vs non defoliation.)

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had two bougys needing a re pot. Both sit in the same place and get treated the same. I decided to defoliate one and not the other and see what happens. I know there are many many variables and this is not a true test but just wanted to compare the two and see for myself if there is a difference. I usually don't defoliate. Just started trying it out on a few.

Both trees sit in the same place. Both were healthy but slow growing foliage this year. Both needed a re pot. The tall one was re potted on 8/9/18 and the fat one on 8/13/18. Same soil mix on both. About the same amount of roots removed. Tall one was put back into same container and fat one into a trainer pot very similar in size. I also have another one that was defoliated and re potted. Will keep an eye on it also.

I know this isn't a controlled example but just thought I would see if there will be any difference and post my results here. I've seen before where I didn't defoliate and most of the leaves wilted and fell off anyways. Will be fun for me to see what happens.
Tall one re potted on 8/9/18
20180808_160141.jpg
20180808_160758.jpg
20180808_163020.jpg
This one was re potted 8/13/18.
20180813_134607.jpg
20180813_140302.jpg
20180813_143940.jpg

Attachments

• 20180813_141520.jpg
    20180813_141520.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 3

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I repotted one yesterday, but did not defoliate. It will be interesting to see the difference.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted one yesterday, but did not defoliate. It will be interesting to see the difference.
That's how I usually do it. I've seen them wilt for a week or two then bounce back and also seen them loose most of the leaves then bounce back. I'm not a fan of defoliating but also like to see for myself. I'm guessing this will be the last time I defoliate the bougy's.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well, mine is blooming, and I'm not about to cut off the bracts, first time it's bloomed. And I am also too chicken-shit to defoliate one. :eek:

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, mine is blooming, and I'm not about to cut off the bracts, first time it's bloomed. And I am also too chicken-shit to defoliate one. :eek:
Congrats on it blooming for the first time. Awesome.
I'll never defoliate my nice purple one. I try and keep it as stress free as possible.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not meaning to be rude, but that looks more like
bare rooting than repotting ?
Good Day
Anthony

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Congrats on it blooming for the first time. Awesome.
I'll never defoliate my nice purple one. I try and keep it as stress free as possible.
I don't blame you! I may or may not have 4 purple ones.;)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Defoliation in conjunction with repotting is a very different technique than defoliation as a leaf size reduction technique as is occasionally done with maples and other temperate broadleaf trees. Purposes are different.

My understanding is that for some tropicals or sub-tropicals, defoliation in conjunction with repotting greatly improves survival. Luma apendiculata, a member of the guava and myrtle family you pretty much must defoliate as you repot or you will loose the tree. It is a useful tool with sensitive trees. It is not about foliage size reduction.

Bougainvilleas are very hardy, but your observation that leaves were wilted for a couple weeks after repotting, then mostly fell off and were replaced when the tree began to grow, suggests that there might be a benefit to defoliation in conjunction with repotting. Removing foliage at time of repotting would keep the tree from being under as severe lack of water stress, until new root tips are generated and roots grow after repotting.

Last edited:

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Defoliation in conjunction with repotting is a very different technique than defoliation as a leaf size reduction technique as is occasionally done with maples and other temperate broadleaf trees. Purposes are different.

My understanding is that for some tropicals or sub-tropicals, defoliation in conjunction with repotting greatly improves survival. Luma apendiculata, a member of the guava and myrtle family you pretty much must defoliate as you repot or you will loose the tree. It is a useful tool with sensitive trees. It is not about foliage size reduction.

Bougainvilleas are very hardy, but your observation that leaves were wilted for a couple weeks after repotting, then mostly fell off and were replaced when the tree began to grow, suggests that there might be a benefit to defoliation in conjunction with repotting. Removing foliage at time of repotting would keep the tree from being under as severe lack of water stress, until new root tips are generated and roots grow after repotting.
100% agreed. I've just never been a fan of defoliating on trees like you said dont benefit from leaf reduction. Alway felt it just stresses it out more. But I could be wrong. For me its good to "try it for myself"
This is the third one I re potted and also defoliated (8/9/18).
20180809_163556.jpg
20180809_165145.jpg
20180809_171933.jpg

Top Bottom