Boulevard cypress needs repotting and pinching, but should I wait?

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey there fellow nutters,

So I’ve talked about this boulevard cypress before. It’s an old tree that was developed by someone who has likely forgotten more about Bonsai then I will know five years from now. I had planned on reporting this tree this year but other trees got in the way and now I’m stuck not knowing what to do. Based on the roots coming out of the soil it would seem that it needs to happen sooner than later.

my reasons for waiting was to see vigorous growth first which it definitely has, but I’m afraid I’ve waited too long and missed my window.

Temperatures here in southern Oregon got very hot over the last couple of days. It should drop back into the 70s by the end of the week but who knows. Would it be OK to leave this tree be for now and work on pinching it back holding on repotting until next year?

A2EB4555-0BB9-461C-BEE6-DBF8483CB1DF.jpeg

C3D9B831-62F8-41E1-B086-C5A094FDC5FB.jpeg

B6621C12-5C96-4B0E-998D-5E3B2A697A62.jpeg

04BABE49-9516-4DAC-A44A-63B1FD7D82D0.jpeg

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree appears to be in good health and doing fine. You could easily wait until spring to repot. If you're in the Rogue Valley you could probably get away with a fall repot.
I'm also in S. Oregon, in the northeast corner of Josephine county.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree appears to be in good health and doing fine. You could easily wait until spring to repot. If you're in the Rogue Valley you could probably get away with a fall repot.
I'm also in S. Oregon, in the northeast corner of Josephine county.
Thank you for the reply. I also think that will be best. Doesn’t seem unhappy so should be ok to wait another year. Hopefully next spring will have a more subtle ramp up in the temperature, but who knows.

Top Bottom