Boulevard Cypress - Styling Help

Saru Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am a new member to this forum, and first things first i must say there are some beautiful trees here. And very knowledgeable people.

I have a Chamaecyparis pisifera ( Boulevard Cypress ), that i have been growing now for about 4 years from 2 gal. nursery stock. I am so stuck on how to style this tree! I have been studying it for a while now and I'm just not sure which way to take it. I'm looking for any kind of help as to what to do. I wont do any styling until next year, but I'm just very stuck on this one, and id really like to turn it into something because it has been with me since i started. Here are a few pictures of the tree:

Fall 2008
IMG_2867.jpg

Spring 2009
IMG_3220.jpg

Summer 2009
IMG_3299.jpg

I may have thinned it out a bit much this spring..but hopefully i didn't ruin its potential. Here's a virt i did, just some very very rough ideas.

CopyofEDIT5.jpg

Id lower the branches over time. There are a few problems with this styling though. Id hope for some serious back budding to develop more branching, but I'm not sure if it would happen.

The other route i was thinking is to layer the tree right below where the fork is, to make a twin trunk or triple trunk style. However I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not sure how well this tree roots, and i will loose a lot of trunk girth, and the established nebari. But its an idea.

So any help you guys can throw my way would be greatly appreciated.

Ps. I really look forward to posting here more!

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
wow! I don't know about that species, but looks like u got a good one to work with.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Id hope for some serious back budding to develop more branching, but I'm not sure if it would happen.

I think these have a very hard time with back budding. I've had one for about a year and a half now, and I haven't seen any back budding.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I would like to see this trees other sides. 1/4 turns.
Irene

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The virt looks a bit flat. The tree would need some branching in the back to add depth. Does anyone know if you can graft branches very easily to these?

Saru Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your comments everyone :).

mcpesq817 - yea i have only seen back budding close to the foliage. Never further back on the branches, or on the main stock. Maybe with time there may be a chance of a bud popping up in the right spot.

irene_b - ill try to get some shots ASAP.

Yamadori - I agree with the virt looking flat. That was the one problem with that styling. I would need to hope for some budding and branching on the back side to make a more balanced tree.

Ah this tree is starting to turn into one of those "hopeless cases". But I'm determined to atleast try to make it into something nice.

Does anyone know how well these layer? If i cant style this tree, i can always get a couple new trees to work with.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
quick ideas

just a couple of quick ideas. why not go with a "triple trunk" as such. it means less stress on the tree with chopping or air layering. some clever pinching from the tips inwards should help encourage growth back towards the trunks. ( i have managed to do this with a similar tree before i moved hose which it didnt like and ended up passing away :( )
some thoughtful wiring of the branches to develop pads where i marked in red and a couple of branches removed to open up the trunk a bit u could end up with a realy nice different little tree. i will do a better virt to give you an idea of what i'm thinking.

regards jamie

Attachments

• IMG_3299.1.JPG
    IMG_3299.1.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 62

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
virtual

i tried postinbg a reply on this before it didnt seem to work for some reason. personally i dont think layering or chopping into this tree to much is necessary. if i can get this virtual topost you will se what i mean, its what i see in the tree any way. great material to work with, and i have managed to have these back bud by pinching from the tips in toward the trunk over time to "force" growth back along the branch. it might have been a slightly different sub species or whatever you want to call it. sorry long day.
please excuse the smallish virtual. i struggled finding the programs capable of doing what i needed and as you can see its nothing special but it gives you the idea.

kindest regards Jamie

Attachments

• virt.jpg
    virt.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 36

Saru Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Jamie for the ideas and the virt. :)

Took a bunch of pictures today. I took a pic every 1/8th turn.

1)
1.jpg
2)
2.jpg

3)
3.jpg
4)
4.jpg

5)
5.jpg
6)
6.jpg

7)
7.jpg
8)
8.jpg

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
I really like Jamie's idea for the triple trunk. This would make for a very unique tree, and more natural looking. The tree looks pretty good from most angles actually, and the nebari is better from some of those angles. If it were my tree, I would go with Jamie's idea, but try to make it look good as good as possible from all sides. "360º bonsai"

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
angle 5

hey there.
that is very helpful seeing the tree from the different perspectives, angle 5 to me looks like an option for the front of the tree. it is looking good from all sides but with the nebari and shape of the tree i would go with angle 5 or the first idea. this is a great piece of material and i wish i had better access to stuff like this. i thought i posted a virt of what i did but i will try again. one of the first pic and then another with angle five. a bonsai is what the person see of it. open your mind to all possibilities and find the tree within. whether it is a very natural looking tree, traditional or non traditional. look closely, and dont rush your choice sometimes you will find the tree will lend itself to what it wants to do. the virt attached is what i see from the first angle. i will get into one from angle 5 soon, these are just my opinions and you yourself might see something different in the little fella.

regards jamie

Attachments

• virt.jpg
    virt.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 40

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
angle 5 virtual

this is the virt of the other angle i like. hope these ideas help you with your styling i look forward to see what way you go with the tree.keep us posted with progression reports and shots of how this one goes. i think you have a lot of potential in this tree to work with and patience and time will get you a very nice bonsai.
good luck with it!
and once again my picture editing skills arent that great so think out side the flatness of the picture.work with all sides to make it even.

regards jamie

Attachments

• virt5.11.jpg
    virt5.11.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 26

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Very nice natural cypress style tree. The tree has already chosen what it wants to be and i think you just need to enhance it as other people here have said. Please study some wild cypresses in nature to guide you further.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice natural cypress style tree. The tree has already chosen what it wants to be and i think you just need to enhance it as other people here have said. Please study some wild cypresses in nature to guide you further.

well said. good advice. even if not in nature. look in books

Saru Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks so much for the guidance. I was starting to loose enthusiasm every time i thought about styling this tree because i just didn't know what to do with it. I wasn't sure if it would ever amount to anything. But now that you guys have helped me out, i'm really excited to style and work with this one.

jamie11

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
dont jump to conclusions about the tree tho. its good your exited but like we have said study over the tree to figure out the very best angle and way to style it. enjoy your tree its great material

Top Bottom