Boulevard cypress

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone in zone 7 grow these successfully? I am looking to buy one and wanted to make sure it could thrive here. I looked up its zone hardiness and it seems to be ok, but I sure would like someone with experience to chime in.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
I've had one for 2 years in zone 5, it's doing pretty well. I haven't treated it any differently than my other trees. No extra winter protection either, it gets left against a fence with mulch up to the rim of the pot, then covered in snow by november. You shouldn't have a problem in zone 7.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am thinking in zone 7 it may require more protection from your Summer weather... ;)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I'm worried about the heat not the cold. The tree I'm looking at is kinda of pricey to so I really need some encouragement from someone with experience with them in my climate.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
jkd2572,

They grow well in NC. I am usually 8a, but we seem to be less cold the last few, with a late freeze. I have seen them quite large in the ground and grew a couple for a while as bonsai before I sold them due to them not liking the amount of shade in my yard (too much).

Regards,
Martin

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in zone 7 and have one that was in the ground for a number of years, and is now in a training flat. Doesn't seem to be particularly sensitive to hot or cold, though zone 7 in VA is probably different than zone 7 in TX. They make for nice trees, though I'll probably sell mine to whittle down my collection.

sherwoodschwartz

Yamadori
Reaction score
i'm in zone 9 and have had a few. the heat didn't seem to bug them too much. we have two large ones in big containers by the front porch. they get direct noontime sun and they're happy as hell.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I am in 8b and I have two 9-10 footers in the garden...nursery man swore they wouldn't get over 6':) I knew better as there is a local one that is 30+'

As a bonsai I am not convinced you can make a long term tree out of them(they grow too much and don't back bud...couple days of shade and all the interior foliage dies). I gave up trying a few years back. If you were content to just let it keep getting bigger they might be ok for a decade or so but not worth the hassle for my garden.

I wonder if anyone can post a picture of one that has been in a pot for more than 10 years??

I do remember a nice one from northern Europe but it was rather large...4' maybe...and had just recently become bonsai.

If you have never kept one, which it sounds like, I think I would be hesitant to put any real money into one until I had at least worked with the species for several years...but that's just me:)
John

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm in Zone 7a and mine is thriving. I do know it likes to stay moist though compared to my other conifers. I'd say during the spring/summer I water it twice as much as my pines/junipers. Even when we had 2 weeks of 90-100 degree days I saw no signs of stress. The spot I keep mine in gets sun from around eleven till about six pm.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jeremy,

they grow down here in the clay soil lawns.Neighbour had one for years and then they chopped it down.

Additionally, The Bonsai Farm [ San Antonio ] used to sell them.

Try a small one first see if you like them.
Good Morning.
Anthony

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with a lot of what Johng said. I don't have a picture, but for mine, I am working it into a jinned apex tree with sparse branches hanging downwards like this spruce from Walter Pall:

http://walter-pall.de/spruceeuropean_spruce_nr__2.jpg.dir/index.html

I figure that this style helps avoid losing branches to the shading of inner growth, which these trees are very prone to.

Despite digging it up this year and chopping off probably close to 80% of the foliage, it's growing strongly and doesn't look half bad.

Top Bottom