Box ficus to semi-cascade

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So I've had this guy about a year. Plopped it in a pot with some better soil and let it ride other than some minimal pruning. Well, I decided to try to wire it. I very quickly broke a branch. I calmed myself, grabbed a frosty beverage and proceeded to break another branch. (Not sure exactly what ficus this is but its DEFINITELY far more fragile than my tiger barks and what I'm used to - elms and a few junipers in the ground)

So about a month or so ago I decided to turn it on its side to show off it's strange trunk shape which is what drew me to this one to begin with, do some minimal wiring and leave it be. I think it's a much better decision for this tree.

If I continue this as a cascade I'm really wondering one, do I keep the smaller branch closest to the viewer to add depth? And two....where should I try to get growth for the apex? Above where the trunk comes out of the soil, or more to the left? (If I keep this front which I think is the only option)

Attachments

• 20181225_134817-picsay.jpg
    20181225_134817-picsay.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 20190604_222100-picsay.jpg
    20190604_222100-picsay.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190604_222125-picsay.jpg
    20190604_222125-picsay.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 150

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wire removed where it wasn't needed (after the multiple break catastrophe I didn't even want to try to remove it) and just letting it grow for now....

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your choice to semicascit.
Good flow.

Where were the branches breaking?
Sounds like something that etsy wiring video can fix for you, seen it?

I would like to see it in a modern semi pot. The chunk of it seems fitting.

Nice!

Sorce

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So this showed as posted but it looks like it didnt stick during site maintenance?

Take 2!

They were branches about the thickness of a pencil. One broke at the joint where it came off of the trunk so I thought okay my fault. Others broke in various places.

When I committed to the new style I removed a couple branches and decided to test them. it was hard to take an almost straight branch and get a bend with the curvature of a parenthesis ( just...snap. I've made actual bends on my other ficus but they are tiger barks. No problem to make a "J" shape with those branches, my elms, or even some sweetgums I have some wire on. I'll check out the video! Never hurts to look at good instruction.

And last....pot example? Google wasnt much help with the modern part. Semi cascade being shorter and more stout? had randomly bought that pot before I made the decision to lay this guy down. so it having a more fitting pot on hand would be nice for next year.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Semi cascade updates!

Also, is there a moderator that would be able to title change? Or just delete this thread as a whole and I could start over? I just...think box ficus sounds dumb...meant to be a "Box store ficus to semi cascade" or something...

Attachments

• 20200311_184142.jpg
    20200311_184142.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200311_184231.jpg
    20200311_184231.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200311_184312.jpg
    20200311_184312.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 70

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Well then that could be added to the new title as well! (if I get there) I had gotten this along with 2 other ficus near the beginning of this hobby...which has only been 2 years now. Limited by size and lighting. I'm actually moving this weekend so im very excited to have the access to full sun and a real yard.

Any critique or criticism is welcome. This is the first thing i've actually altered to any real extent. The cascade/semi cascade is a deceivingly difficult shape to plan... im sure many new comers think that of the entire hobby... which is definitely true.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can change it if you want ..... But.....

I kinda like it.

Give me something without "or something" of you wanna change it.

B u t....

I like it!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
99 percent sure this is a f. benjamina var. "wiandi"... common wisdom is forget about wiring and just clip and grow.

I have one I am also planning a cascade for. I will keep watching this thread.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd like to see the progress. I tried to weep a 'Too Little' var. 'Panda' last year and almost killed it. Almost everything I wired down died. Luckily, not every branch was down, and it's coming back. I was told that it was a fool's errand by one of the ladies here. That happens to be one of my specialties...

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
99 percent sure this is a f. benjamina var. "wiandi"... common wisdom is forget about wiring and just clip and grow.

I have one I am also planning a cascade for. I will keep watching this thread.

I am not too sure on exact ficus variations. I do know, that this one does not bend well....at all. I had a few branches that were already established and wanted to move them some when I changed the design and it just wasn't having it. I have a few others (different 'sub species?') that i have really twisted around and they've been fine. It was a lowes mallasai (the other ficus, not this one) that has been turned into...several things. Live and learn. Anyway, this one has ceased to get wired other than a little guy wire here and there.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'd like to see the progress. I tried to weep a 'Too Little' var. 'Panda' last year and almost killed it. Almost everything I wired down died. Luckily, not every branch was down, and it's coming back. I was told that it was a fool's errand by one of the ladies here. That happens to be one of my specialties...

I will grab some update pictures tonight. It is doing rather well. Getting bushy. I'm trying to push the apex down, and let some growth extend to the right of the apex pictured above. It'll make more sense with some pictures... I hope!

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Attachments

• 20200623_192636-picsay.jpg
    20200623_192636-picsay.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200623_192650-picsay.jpg
    20200623_192650-picsay.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 45

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Should I get rid of all of the growth to the right of the trunk? Or should I let them extend and thicken a bit to cut back and start gaining some mass where it's drawn in?

Attachments

• 20ygff20lowres0623_192636-picsay.jpg
    20ygff20lowres0623_192636-picsay.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom