Box store bonsai

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OMG, this absolutely drives me bonkers. grrrrrrrrrrr. I cannot stand seeing bonsai, with this rock, glued in place. These guys are going to die. I wish they weren't even sold. I'd love to take every one of them home, and help them, if I could. I'm sure you all feel the same. Rant over....

Attachments

• IMG_20190707_093000.jpg
    IMG_20190707_093000.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I mainly dislike them due to the pricing, many places overcharge for poor material. That being said, it is most peoples first exposure to the hobby, especially in areas with no bonsai nurseries, shows, or clubs. Hopefully the popularity of the hobby on the internet will help newcomers make better choices, but if someone buys one of these and it opens the door to years of enjoyment is it so bad?

Here are a couple of my rescues:
IMG_20190702_203002.jpgIMG_20190702_195424.jpg

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If people quit buying them, they will quit making them.

you are correct. but people think they are a bonsai master, when they bring these home. their guests go, "omg, that bonsai is so awesome, i didnt even know you were into bonsai." lol and they answer with, " oh, im not really, i bought it at lowes. it says its easy to grow. all i have to do is water it." UGH!!!! D
drives me nuts, seriously.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had people ask me for advice on why their bonsai were doing poorly, and they still had the rocks glued on. Bonsai also kept inside. I can see why they think they can keep them inside, but even the most clueless people must know that plants need water?

dragonlee

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i say that, because,ive read alot of different stories, where they say, the juniper is usually dead already. That they stay green for a long time.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
When some one says to me “oh you are into bonsai? I have one of those” *shows me mallsai* I try to use it as a teaching experience on how to get “real” bonsai taken care of. Most people just need a heads up.

That being said, I wont be buying any.

Top Bottom