Box Store Wound Dressing/Seal

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey guys. Do I need to order a specialty seal or can I use the general stuff at Lowe's? I am planning on doing some threadgrafting and root work on a maple when I repot it in a few weeks. I need it to be removable so I can also use it for treating chop wounds but it looks like the reviews from the box store mention how hard it is to take off.

Thanks.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stupid question, but why would you want to remove it? We usually leave it on until the would heals and it pops off.

I dont like the black stuff you get at Lowes and Home Depot. You wont be able to remove it.

I have used this grafting wax for big cuts which works pretty well IMO and is cheaper than stuff you guy from Bonsai supply places

http://www.amazon.com/Walter-E-Clar...8&qid=1391492884&sr=8-1&keywords=grafting+wax

Its a tanish color instead of black. It is very sticky and can be a bit messy but they all are really.
With this you have to coat your hands in vegetable oil (I use canola because thats what I have) to keep it from sticking to my hands. You put a small piece in warm water and it softens it and allows you to work with it.

Last edited:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I saw a chinese guy using silicon glue, but never tried it. A friend of mine uses large lump of clay/plasticine and it heals his large chops very fast.

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
I also use the toothpaste tube like stuff from Japan. This year I tried something new and placed a square of aluminum foil over it and pressed it to remove bubbles and ensure contact. That wound healed noticabley faster that the others...on the same species of similar size wound.
One thing that was clear was that the calus tissue stayed very very flat as it covered the wound.....as opposed to bubbling up and becoming thicker. Maybe to slight pressure of the foil and airtight seal caused the calus to spread and not raise.

I'll try again this year to confirm.

Last edited:

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
I use a modeling clay called Plastalina available from Michaels. I like the brown and gray blended to match the bark of whatever tree I'm working on. I also like to mix in a few drops of mineral oil just to make it stickyer.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you use Elmers you can use cut offs and match it exact with existing unused bark...

Grimmy

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Stupid question, but why would you want to remove it?
I'm still quite green and was under the assumption that you had to remove it to rewound and cover again repeatedly.

Elmers wood glue.
Will it just pop off on its own? I have some titebond wood glue that I could use if it's the same.

I use a modeling clay called Plastalina available from Michaels. I like the brown and gray blended to match the bark of whatever tree I'm working on. I also like to mix in a few drops of mineral oil just to make it stickyer.
I also have some modeling clay but it's not plastalina. My brand is Model Air and it's just the general stuff.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Titebond is not the same as Elmers wood glue. If I remember correct Titebond is waterproof so I am not sure how it would act. The Elmers does come off of mine when I use it but the times and uses varies so much I really can't give you longevity. Just know it is cheap, easy, and works. I have the black stuff and use it on landscape plants. It will eventually lighten in color but that takes a few seasons here and I have never seen it come off. It seems to be more of a stain/sealer then a coating.

Grimmy

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stupid question, but why would you want to remove it? We usually leave it on until the would heals and it pops off.

Wound sealant seem to have different use and followers. There are also those who doesn't believe in it (even masters). Dan Robinson for one thinks it just holds moisture in and encourage wood decay inside.

In my understanding...
The thick clay or caulk like sealants are used to cover the wound and supposedly encourage the callus to roll over faster (under the clay and caulk). They should pop off.

The thin sealants like wood glue really act as wood sealant (gets absorbed by wood leaving a thin film finish). It minimizes; wood drying, cracking, and water entry to prevent rot so the callus have something to roll over to.

I make mine to just prevent (sap flow) drying from the wound and hope for it to work only for a few hours until the tree "compartmentalize" the cut. For large cuts, I use wood glue on the wood just to stabilize or "harden" it since it will take time before the wound heals.

Hope this helps and if I am mistaken...please feel free to correct me.

Last edited:

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I might try the modeling clay to see how it works out.

I also like the idea of the Elmers Wood Glue but in my mind, I am seeing it dry hard and be difficult to rewound the underlying callus later down the road. Again, I have never used it and see that many of you have so I probably need to give it a try so I can understand it a little better.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

I also like the idea of the Elmers Wood Glue but in my mind, I am seeing it dry hard and be difficult to rewound the underlying callus later down the road. Again, I have never used it and see that many of you have so I probably need to give it a try so I can understand it a little better.

Experiment with several products on a Landscape tree...

Grimmy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Elmer's glue will stick to the wood and the callus will go over them both (as one). Read and understand what I posted above. I edited it for you.

Last edited:

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Wound sealing is not a new thing and generally has been proven to work for most species.....many years of old fashioned trial and error there. Most cut pastes made for bonsai are readily available and cheap. They also last quite a long time for people with average sized collections. So..just as a general question why not just get one of those products? Why the need to dive into so much minutia over what is likely a similar cost and maybe just as effective....maybe but probably not. My money is on the brand x bonsai paste.

Not sure I agree on the no cut paste thing, but to each his own. Based on what I see in Dans excellent and very artistic work, he may not be concerned with a smooth callus. Just my two cents.

prestontolbert

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A prominent bonsai nurseryman told me he uses Titebond II. Titebond I is too permeable and III is too waterproof.

Edit:That is on trident maples.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure I agree on the no cut paste thing, but to each his own. Based on what I see in Dans excellent and very artistic work, he may not be concerned with a smooth callus. Just my two cents.
I use and believe in cut paste myself.

Dan actually told several stories that due to cut paste use, the tree usually rot from the inside...continuously even after the wound has healed. Kathy Shaner uses it but checks the wood before it fully heals and make sure the wood is solid. If not, she removes all rotting/soft wood, treat it with hardener and then fill the hole with putty.

Dan undoubtedly is a carving proponent but it is not the reason he cited. If anything, while carving is when he encountered the problems he shared. He even joked about taking it back...since they help create great URO. LOL

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Elmer's glue will stick to the wood and the callus will go over them both (as one). Read and understand what I posted above. I edited it for you.
That makes much more sense to me now. Thanks for sharing that.

Why the need to dive into so much minutia over what is likely a similar cost and maybe just as effective....maybe but probably not. My money is on the brand x bonsai paste.
To be honest, it's all about saving a buck where I can. I'm willing to spend the extra coin when it's needed, but if I can get by with cheaper, why not? I definitely agree that the tried and true products are the most reliable and will be ordering the Joshua Roth tube somebody was kind enough to share. I just like to get others input too because there's a lot of experience on this board.

A prominent bonsai nurseryman told me he uses Titebond II. Titebond I is too permeable and III is too waterproof.

Edit:That is on trident maples.
Coincidentally enough, that is exactly what I have. I will try all 3 (Roth tube paste, Elmer's, and Titebond at some point and see what works best.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Top Bottom