Boxus Harlandii broom style

Reaction score
boxus harlandii.jpg
Boxus with their natural crack n rough bark.
Got this tree from a local nursury in Malaysia, grown in a 3 gallons plastic pot. Transfer it to a 8 inches diameter (at rim level) pot, just do some triming n the result after one month.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't forget to wire! Right now it looks like a mini trimmed hedge. To give it the illusion of a large tree (seen from a distance), you need to wire the branches down and spread them out. Here's an image to use as reference:

perfect-broom-style.jpg

See how the lowest branches are almost directly horizontal - even slightly drooping past horizontal? Compare to your bonsai and try to give your bonsai the same look. Young trees grow upward. Old trees droop.

Reaction score
I will do the wiring, but the branch n bark can be very brittle, any special technique to overcome this. At the moment i use aluminium wire coiling technique for my other plant

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will do the wiring, but the branch n bark can be very brittle, any special technique to overcome this. At the moment i use aluminium wire coiling technique for my other plant

You can try soaking the bark with water beforehand. But I wouldn't worry about it too much - just be gentle and do the best you can. You need to get the branches in the proper positions before they get too hard to move.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
And the top needs a good thinning, too. You need to let the birds fly through.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think that those branches are going to bend very much. It might be better (but a lot slower) to start cutting the branches back and hope that some new lower branches spring up which could be wired while still green.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To me the branches evoke a stately old tree, I would open up the foliage up top a bit to lose the solid look but I really like this plant.

ed

Top Bottom