Boxwood back in the ground

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Several years ago, I was driving past a landscape remodel and I begged for the boxwood they were getting rid of. I planted it in the garden for two years. I took it out this year, clean up the roots and trimmed it back and replanted it. I think in two or three years this clump might be respectable. The first photo is in the garden and then some before and after photos.

Do you think photo four or five makes the best front?

Attachments

• Box5.jpg
    Box5.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 58
  • Box4.jpg
    Box4.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Box3.jpg
    Box3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Box1.jpg
    Box1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 53
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like photo 4, because you can see all the trunks joined together. But I'd probably get rid of the smaller trunk that is not really attached visually. Maybe make it a separate tree. Looks like it has enough roots. And if you get it down to 3 trunks, usually that is a visually more agreeable number than a 4 trunk.

I think I'd do some styling work on this while it's in the ground, so you have a leg up when you dig it back out.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like photo 4, because you can see all the trunks joined together. But I'd probably get rid of the smaller trunk that is not really attached visually. Maybe make it a separate tree. Looks like it has enough roots. And if you get it down to 3 trunks, usually that is a visually more agreeable number than a 4 trunk.

I think I'd do some styling work on this while it's in the ground, so you have a leg up when you dig it back out.

I agree with Judy on all counts and remove (left to right) trunk #2 & #5. If you go with 3 trunks...you can choose the proper front then. Avoid having a pre-conceived choice...really look at it with an open mind rotating it slowly...looking at it from different height, etc. Do not mind the top too much...just the root, trunk(s) and main branches.

One thing I would have done differently is leave all the lower branches. Too late now but in case you get more later, leave them until you are sure you do not need them. I will also refrain from digging it again until the final move to a pot. They have shallow roots so you won't likely have any problems getting enough during that move.

I dug a few old boxwood and all have sufficient feeder roots even on a tiny root ball.

Good luck!!!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Was curious if all of those share a root. The day before you posted I was able to collect one in a shopping center because it was two feet from the landscapers row. Seems they have a root system similar to Bamboo. Also for some reason they are quite expensive here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's what I did with a similar root connected boxwood. This is a bit of an old pic and the pads have been refined a bit. It also has the odd "stick out" trunk. I've opted to leave it be, but might take it off in the coming years...

Attachments

• boxwood.jpg
    boxwood.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 22
  • boxwood2.jpg
    boxwood2.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 20

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice! I will go back and get the rest he offered me. My Wife never worked on them as they are just to pricey in this area to "play" with but these little one's I am collecting should be fun and a good learning experience. :D

Top Bottom