Boxwood - Before and After

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree. I really like the trunk. For some reason I can never keep boxwoods alive! Good start.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree. Good work you did.
Now, figure out how to keep it just like that, give or take.
That is the challenge. :cool:

Should it prove to not be, move on to something more challenging. On second thought, do both. ;)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Little box that looks like adult tree, beautiful small tree!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your squirrel (monkey?) Burning device! Lol!

Update on the other?

Nice.

The roots and trunks flow wonderfully together.
Are you thinking about this at purchase time?
Seems your snagging great box!

Feel free to post more info!

Thanks bro!

Sorce

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice tree. Good work you did.
Now, figure out how to keep it just like that, give or take.
That is the challenge. :cool:

Should it prove to not be, move on to something more challenging. On second thought, do both. ;)

Thank you so much! My idea is to wait for the new shoots to then work the small branches, basically that keep this format, but adding more details. Peace!

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score
I like your squirrel (monkey?) Burning device! Lol!

Update on the other?

Nice.

The roots and trunks flow wonderfully together.
Are you thinking about this at purchase time?
Seems your snagging great box!

Feel free to post more info!

Thanks bro!

Sorce

You are the best Sorce hahahahahah this was a bird cage, but as I prefer to see them flying, I tried to turn it into a barbecue grill, and it works fine...
The other boxwood is still developing, I did a little wire, but I'm waiting for a more significant development to be able to update it.
Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it !! I liked the stem very much when I saw it, it has a slight curve that caught my attention, so I did not care much about the green part, but to my surprise it had a nice ramification and I tried to use the maximum of the branches.
I also did a little carving on a branch, so I could improve the perspective.

IMG_20171118_165443606_2.jpg IMG_20171119_104744430.jpg

Peace bro!!

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score
Great tree. I really like the trunk. For some reason I can never keep boxwoods alive! Good start.

Thanks a lot!
Something that can kill boxwood is a wrong pruning, I never leave any branch without leaves, and I also do periodic cleaning on the old leaves, similar to what they do with black pine, this helps a lot in the entrance of sun in the plant, because it has a tendency to block the sun internally due to the large amount of branches and leaves.
Peace!

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Loving what you have done here. It really gives the impression of an old tree, as you see them along the roads in many Brazilian towns, with open, twisty canopies. Well done!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's nice, good shaping job. Make sure that you encourage inner branching to keep the interior healthy and producing buds. I had to look again to see where you are that you can do this kind of work at this time of year, but in Brasil it makes sense now.

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score
Loving what you have done here. It really gives the impression of an old tree, as you see them along the roads in many Brazilian towns, with open, twisty canopies. Well done!

Thank you so much!! I am very happy when I know that someone understood exactly what I would like to express, my greatest inspiration comes from the trees I see in my daily life.
Peace!

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score
It's nice, good shaping job. Make sure that you encourage inner branching to keep the interior healthy and producing buds. I had to look again to see where you are that you can do this kind of work at this time of year, but in Brasil it makes sense now.
Thank you so much, I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the tips, with the increase in the sun entrance, I believe that new shoots will come soon, I will update after changing the soil and put in a smaller vessel.
Peace!

Top Bottom