Boxwood clump -- Should I stay or should I go?

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I collected this boxwood clump early last year from a hedge in my front yard. It wasn't the best material in the world, but I thought it was worthy and had some interesting potential. I posted some photos following its collection on "another forum" and it got little praise (people more or less crapped on it :(). They felt the intended "back" of the tree was god awful. It was also termed a "toughie" and that I needed to find some sort of "workaround" for it.

Anyway, I've done some work over the last year and a half and think that it does indeed have some worth as bonsai. I still have considerable carving to do in order to hide some of the large chops (I know... I'm cheating.;)). In addition I need time to develop the branching, ramification etc. However, I feel someday this could be a pretty cool tree if I can just find that "workaround" :rolleyes:.

The question is: Does the right hand trunk stay or go?

Cory

Feb 2012 -- Front
boxwood clump #1.jpg

Feb 2012 -- Back
boxwood clump #3.jpg

Today
boxwood #3.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is indeed a difficult piece.

I (a rookie/newbie) think you did a wonderful job working on what you got. :) I don't see any advantage in removing the right trunk for now...then I again, I am only seeing a picture. I believe you can do the best decision based what you see and judging from what you've done so far.

Good luck!

tismeisthatu

Yamadori
Reaction score
It is indeed a difficult piece.

I (a rookie/newbie) think you did a wonderful job working on what you got. :) I don't see any advantage in removing the right trunk for now...then I again, I am only seeing a picture. I believe you can do the best decision based what you see and judging from what you've done so far.

Good luck!

I 100% agree with Poink88, on all points. It looks great in a photo & the improvement is there to see. It has a great future in my eyes.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Stay...nice work Cory, it has a good feel.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sounds like everyone is in agreement. You've got a nice piece.

While this thread may have taken a turn to the icky, I agree that good results have been achieved and the right trunk should stay.

Regards,
Martin

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.:) We'll see what the future hold for this guy.

Does anyone have a pot suggestion?

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s high-level thread necromancy there. Great job, it looks like a venerable tree that’s seen a lot.
Yeah. It was time to bring this thing back from the dead. I'm surprised to see some familiar folks on here after all this time.

Thanks for the compliment, Cosmos.

Top Bottom