Boxwood collected in 2010

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I saw an ad on craigslist saying you dig you keep, so....i did!
there were several i dug up but most went to landscaping the
front yard.

this one however made its way to a temporary container to begin training.
Picture after spring and beginning of summer growth pruned:

2011-05-14_06-38-25_341.jpg

it has a very good nebari but im thinking of getting rid of the tallest trunk. i cant get any lower growth and i pinch it regularly and i have cut it back hard enough for it to throw one lower but i think the solution is to get rid of it. if thats a bad idea tell me. ok well there you go.

Thanks,

Will B.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Pretty cool piece of material. Most of the taller trunks will need chopping in the future, but a few more views of the tree would be helpful to get a better idea of what needs to be done. Are all the trunks alive?

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Yes sir! all trunks are alive! i have been letting this guy grow since i initially collected it. I just wanted it to put out alot of growth before i did anything else. I agree some of the trunks need shortening but i can only go so far on them since you can only go down to the last green leaves and then wait...but ill probably thin this one out before winter so light can get through and i can take a better picture of the tree for you guys!

Will B.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like the looks of this. I would not hurry to get rid of any of the trunks, or to shorten them too much. Look at it a while. That's what I did with this Privet clump I dug several years ago. It looked quite a bit like yours when I dug it.

Attachments

• clump 8-11.jpg
    clump 8-11.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 101

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I will definately take it slowly and reduce it over a few years...thanks for your info and the picture of your privet! Looks good!

Will B.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would keep all the trunks, its a great looking tree right now. The leaves need some detailing to open them up a bit, maybe spread them out a bit. The larger trunk, if it has growth at the top would be a bonus to me, growth on the side or nearer to the bottom would seem to crowd the design.

ed

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Thanks again ed for your positive comments. I have an idea that involves keeping all the trunks. I might do one of my primitive virts if I feel like it.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the base on this one. Certainly seems to have some potential and agreed take it slow with picking out what to do with the trunks. Although at the moment I am not fond of the tallest one's height.

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Tmmason......I plan on reducing the tallest one slightly so it will tie in with everything else. It has grown out alot and has given me more options. I plan on thinning it out sometime to see my options better. Ill post before I do anything. Thanks for your thoughts!

Will B.

Top Bottom