Boxwood, cutting or layer

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey crew I have a small Kingsville box with a branch about 1/4 in diameter. I'm thinking about propagating this tree. Would it be better to do it as a cutting or should I try a layer? The tree is healthy and growing. What would be the better method and time to do it?

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi lar, I have several buxus varieties and I take cuttings right after flowering, which here is the end of winter, early spring. One quater inch stems will take root by just sticking them into the garden next to the tree I take it from. I'd say 90% of these will stike roots. Pumice fines work great for starting cuttings and anything you can do better than just poking them into the ground will increase your chances, but they really root easily. Rick

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Cuttings, but NOT now. In the early spring.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can airlayer now IF you have the space. Problem with Kingsville is that most of the time they are so compact that you have a very tight space to work on and airlayering is more difficult leaving you no option but to propagate by cutting.

Take cuttings after the threat of freezing temps is gone...preferably when overnight lows are at 45*F and higher.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
You can airlayer now IF you have the space. Problem with Kingsville is that most of the time they are so compact that you have a very tight space to work on and airlayering is more difficult leaving you no option but to propagate by cutting.

Take cuttings after the threat of freezing temps is gone...preferably when overnight lows are at 45*F and higher.

Dario you seem to work with boxwoods a lot and you are right the space is rather confined to layer. Seems like these cuttings take pretty well. I'm going to go that route. I think I will wait till early spring and strike. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Top Bottom