Boxwood Cuttings

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Should I expect leaves to drop from a new cutting that hasn't established new roots. I've got a crispy critter over here.

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
hmmm. I tried to root a rather large cutting with many branches and leaves. Maybe too much greenery with no roots to support them? I just cut a much smaller one and put it in my rooting pot. We'll see.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Dropping some leaves is not terminal, dropping more than half the leaves means something is going wrong. Perhaps your cuttings were from a tree that already had a pest like spider mites or false mites. They are tiny enough that often we don't notice low level infestations.

If humidity is too low, cuttings will fail. I often use a plastic bag. Just set the pot with the cuttings into a plastic bag, seal it, and set the back in bright shade. When you see growth inside the bag, you can begin opening the bag up.

BiscoDrew

Sapling
Reaction score
Dropping some leaves is not terminal, dropping more than half the leaves means something is going wrong. Perhaps your cuttings were from a tree that already had a pest like spider mites or false mites. They are tiny enough that often we don't notice low level infestations.

If humidity is too low, cuttings will fail. I often use a plastic bag. Just set the pot with the cuttings into a plastic bag, seal it, and set the back in bright shade. When you see growth inside the bag, you can begin opening the bag up.
Thank you for the clarity on that. I was unsure about the bag being necessary

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the thin cambium, and likeliness of bark to rot, would make a large box cutting hard to make. Harder to make last.

Airlayer?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boxwoods are becoming one of my favorite types of trees.. How well do they air layer? Would the same tendency to root be a risk?

I've heard of layers but never seen one.

I would be careful to not keep the bark line too far buried.

Sorce

Top Bottom