Boxwood Dead Wood

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for some good suggestions on what to do with the deadwood on this boxwood. I was gifted with this boxwood and it is coming along nicely IMO. I have put some guy wires on it to direct three of the branches. Mature Boxwood is very difficult to move with wire I have come to find. I am looking for suggestions on the deadwood of the tree. The previous owner attempted some woodwork but I am not sure it fits in with the type of tree it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated! 1st picture is what I am calling the front.
20180225_121155.jpg
20180225_121203.jpg
20180225_121209.jpg
20180225_121216.jpg
20180225_121232.jpg

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
As far as I can see there is no deadwood... but my eyes might deceive me...
By "deadwood" do you mean the jinned branches?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes the jins and also the dead branch.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
At first glance, I would drastically shorten the branch/trunk on the left.
The other smaller dead branches I would remove and I'd reduce the height, too.
But my main concern would be to get the foliage closer to the trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Take the branch you want to do something with and break it with your hands, bracing it with your thumb where you want the break. If it leaves a "tounge", rip it downward. Boxwoods have pretty hard wood, so give it some help with a tool to get started if needed. Or, practice higher up to get a feel fro what it will do. I learned this technique from Rodney Clemons, a king amongst Boxwoods.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At first glance, I would drastically shorten the branch/trunk on the left.
The other smaller dead branches I would remove and I'd reduce the height, too.
But my main concern would be to get the foliage closer to the trunk.
Thanks. It does seem awfully lanky. I would like to reduce the height but I am concerned that it might not regrow if I cut it down.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Take the branch you want to do something with and break it with your hands, bracing it with your thumb where you want the break. If it leaves a "tounge", rip it downward. Boxwoods have pretty hard wood, so give it some help with a tool to get started if needed. Or, practice higher up to get a feel fro what it will do. I learned this technique from Rodney Clemons, a king amongst Boxwoods.
Could I break it off where it joins the main trunk?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Boxwood will back bud, but I would leave “some” foliage on each branch to keep it alive. Once it has back budded, you can shorten the branches and cut back to the new growth

Top Bottom