Boxwood Design Guide. 1 trunk or 2

fucious70

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My first boxwood. I saw it sitting by itself and was totally drawn to it. I pruned off the top but puzzled on which direction I should take, 1 trunk or 2.

For 2 trunk, I plan on cutting at the red line. Have the larger branches all lean towards the right. That vision makes me feel like a married couple holding each other. I plan to keep the bottom branch to the right to help thicken the trunk.

For 1 trunk, cut at the yellow line. This will allow for a nice taper. The base is not as thick as I would like it to be. It can't be seen, but I would have a pretty nice S curve

I'm torn between then two. Thoughts? Any other design ideas?

Attachments

• Pic 3 decision.jpg
    Pic 3 decision.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 138

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems like a good idea....

But the other 2 on the left fork are the same size.....so one of those should go.

What then?

More pics!

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I saw it sitting by itself and was totally drawn to it.
What, exactly, drew you to it?
Presumably, this would the the design focus and all you need to decide is how to "frame it" with the rest of the tree or the foliage, in particular.
So, again, what drew you to this tree? Why did you buy it?

fucious70

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What, exactly, drew you to it?
Presumably, this would the the design focus and all you need to decide is how to "frame it" with the rest of the tree or the foliage, in particular.
So, again, what drew you to this tree? Why did you buy it?
The thickness and double trunk. When I brought it home I noticed the other potential after cleaning it up.
That’s a great question. Go with why I fell for it.

fucious70

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
i see the fork and agree. I’ll make the chop and show the different angles.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@0soyoung asked the right question. If the twin trunk interaction drew you in, you might want to try to preserve those elements.
However, it looks like the split occurs somewhat above the soil line. Have you dug down a little to see how much trunk is under the soil? Have you considered other fronts?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The thing that bothers me a bit is that both trunks are the same size. Not much chance of changing that, so I'd vote for a single trunk.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The thing that bothers me a bit is that both trunks are the same size. Not much chance of changing that, so I'd vote for a single trunk.

I whole-heartedly agree.. while there ARE options with keeping them both,I personally believe there is much more potential waiting to be “released” if you decide to traverse the single trunk route. That being said, I truly believe that you should go with the option that you feel will be the best for the tree and yourself according to the design that you see “within”.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you should see if you can gently lift the tree from the nursery pot, and move away the top soil to find the actual base of the tree, and if there is a good nebari there or even further down. Then before you put the tree back into a pot, take 8 pictures from straight on to the tree, with a plain background. These pictures will likely show you what the best aspects the tree has. Post them here too! Just remember if you're unsure about a big styling choice, it's sometimes best to study the tree and think about it before cutting something drastically. (Can't glue it back on...)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Continuing @JudyB's point
Just remember if you're unsure about a big styling choice, it's sometimes best to study the tree and think about it before cutting something drastically. (Can't glue it back on...)
I've noted that trunks/low-branches that look like a slingshot, don't look like a slingshot if one side is very short or at least much shorter than the other. But to make this happen, one needs a shoot or to develop one at the chop. Developing a shoot means hard pruning, waiting for buds to pop and grow into shoots, then cutting/chopping to that shoot you want at the top of the short trunk. Unfortunately, the desired shoot doesn't always show up. Then maybe one lops off the entire second branch. On the other hand, if the branch (maybe) already exists ... 🤔

Also, a slingshot laying on its side or definitely slanting tends to not appear to be a slingshot, just as a bar branch tends to not appear to be a bar branch if their common line is not horizontal. IOW, simply tilting the plant may help. Adjusting the planting angle, though, sometimes isn't possible because the nebari is too strong to accommodate it.

Then, again, maybe this explains why my trees are lacking. 🤔

Last edited:

fucious70

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@JudyB @Brian Van Fleet Here are the pictures in different angles. I went ahead and chopped more. It is pretty heavy, easily above 100 pounds.

Appreciate the guidance and feedback. I'll exercise a little more patience before I start chopping again.

Attachments

• IMG_8638.jpg
    IMG_8638.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8639.jpg
    IMG_8639.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8640.jpg
    IMG_8640.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8641.jpg
    IMG_8641.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8642.jpg
    IMG_8642.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8643.jpg
    IMG_8643.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8644.jpg
    IMG_8644.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8645.jpg
    IMG_8645.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8646.jpg
    IMG_8646.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 61

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This shows that the first photo was the worst angle to ponder.

I like the bottom half of 8640.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, these later pictures/angles explain the tree’s personality better... they also unlock, visually, a myriad of new possibilities. (At least in my opinion). A lot more to “chew on”.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think image 2, 3,4 or 7 is your best way to go on first glance. I like it better as a single trunk I think for what you have to work with, as the taper will show better. But a double is viable with some sides of this tree. Nice find.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@JudyB @Brian Van Fleet Here are the pictures in different angles. I went ahead and chopped more. It is pretty heavy, easily above 100 pounds.

Appreciate the guidance and feedback. I'll exercise a little more patience before I start chopping again.
My choice would be picture #8642, retain right hand side, single trunk option, nebari lends itself to a slant and the right slant shows nice movement and crown towards the viewer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I'm leaning towards now.

It seems you're not allowing for a design possibility with some branches that don't yet exist.

I think these are/were/are some fabulous trunks, but utilizing only what already exists won't get them to their potential as bonsai.

Watch em for a while.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes!

a design possibility with some branches that don't yet exist.

...and those design possibilities often end up monumental in progressional movement.

I often consider ONLY “theoretical/hypothetical branches” hahaha! (Depending on the specimen, of course)

Top Bottom