Boxwood design ideas?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would not get rid of that branch. I would encourage some interior growth on that branch so I could cut back to the new growth, and then train it in a less straight line, if I could not bend it into something a little more interesting. Nice job, it's looking good.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks! That sounds like a good idea. Definitely needs interior growth. I did get some last summer since I opened it up. Don't think I fed it as much as it needed. So I'm going to feed it strong this summer. Also really looking forward to the Mid Atlantic Festival! Hoping to get some new things! Pre bonsai stock or something. Funds are tight....so we'll see. Never been to one. Pretty excited.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, they are hungry little dudes, feed them well, and you'll get great new growth after a cutback like you did.
Keep updating!

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Think I got some winter burn...

My boxwood was put outside from winter protection. Also moved to new bench area. Has been outside for a couple of weeks now. Temps did fall to mid 30's at night and where it's at get a lot more sun then it's used to until leaves on landscape begin to leaf out. Also it's been windy the last week or more. And the more I read this I think I'm answering my question's! As you can see in the pics the leaves aren't looking that good on a decent amount of the tree. I guess drying winds/ more sun that it needs/ and some low temps has caused this? What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 51

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, today I moved it into porch that was winterized. Still letting indirect light to reach it but no winds either. Hopefully that will improve things!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Was it watered during winter? Leaves look like they dried. Was it like this when you brought them out? Or just recently?

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think so. No I would have noticed. It is putting out new growth. Some but it just started getting warmer. My yard backs up to the local high school, wide open so gets pretty windy.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry but I am not sure which question you are answering with what.

IF I understood it correctly, you did not water this over winter. That could be the culprit. This is a broad leaf evergreen...need to be watered and fed through winter. Need light too (though maybe you can get away w/o if it is in hibernation?).

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did water over winter, kept end it in a unheated shed. Watered just too keep it moist but not soggy. I'm thinking drying winds and cold night may be the problem. Also didn't feed through winter because it was dormant.

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A pic of new growth and some flower buds. Witch I think you pinch off . If I'm correct to keep the tree from directing energy to the flower?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 49

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, I remove those flowers as fast as possible. Was it you who like to keep them?

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No, I just hope this tree doesn't keep declining!

Top Bottom