Boxwood. Differing info.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I just read in a bonsai book that boxwood should be an .....indoor...tree.:eek:
I've also read (think here) that they turn brown in winter but green up in spring.

Well, mine has sure gone brown since the frost.

Sound ok?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Many boxwood species. I keep indoors one Harland boxwood (B. harlandii) with cold room wintering. It remains green all year, losing just few leaves in winter.
Buxus sempervirens and microphylla used as a hedging shrub get brown or at least pale in winter here where I live.
So my advice is to check which boxwood species they mean.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just read in a bonsai book that boxwood should be an .....indoor...tree.:eek:
I've also read (think here) that they turn brown in winter but green up in spring.

Well, mine has sure gone brown since the frost.

Sound ok?
Boxwood is almost always an outdoor tree. As said there is a sub-tropical species that is used in bonsai(buxus harlandii) which is hardly ever seen outside of China. Boxwood species CAN BRONZE (not brown, brown is a different thing) in the winter cold. Brown limp leaves are winter kill. Bronzish leaves that keep their shape will come back. the brown limp stuff won't.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
ANY new leaves that have not hardened off will turn brown and die if not protected from frost. Is the entire plant brown?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ANY new leaves that have not hardened off will turn brown and die if not protected from frost. Is the entire plant brown?
not absolutely true. It can depend, especially if you're working with one of the hardier varieties like Korean boxwood (buxus sinica) and its related cultivars--all of which are common as bonsai material.

Reactions: Vin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Boxwood is almost always an outdoor tree. As said there is a sub-tropical species that is used in bonsai(buxus harlandii) which is hardly ever seen outside of China. Boxwood species CAN BRONZE (not brown, brown is a different thing) in the winter cold. Brown limp leaves are winter kill. Bronzish leaves that keep their shape will come back. the brown limp stuff won't.
Harlandii are commonly imported to Europe.

IMG_20160422_132223216 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
not absolutely true. It can depend, especially if you're working with one of the hardier varieties like Korean boxwood (buxus sinica) and its related cultivars--all of which are common as bonsai material.
I'll have to remember that. My Korean is not pushing new growth but every one of my Japanese are. We haven't had a frost yet which is very unusual but I have been sheltering all my boxwoods on days when the temps could cause a frost. BTW there is lots of bronzing going on. Thanks!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Frost is your friend...won't hurt boxwood. If you're really concerned, cover the pots up on the ground. Korean box (sinica) is hardy to Zone 4, almost the arctic. I've had some bronzing, but not a lot on mine and we've seen three or four consecutive days of single digit nights in the last couple of weeks.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Harlandii are commonly imported to Europe.
That's a big boy! Mine is about as big as the branch on right (1/2 inch in diameter). I've had it four years and I don't believe it's gotten much more than an eighth inch of girth in that time. I have no means of verifying it but when I got it I was told I was probably the only person in town that has one and maybe even the only person within a hundred miles with one. My leaves look to be much smaller than the one in your photo as well.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frost is your friend...won't hurt boxwood. If you're really concerned, cover the pots up on the ground. Korean box (sinica) is hardy to Zone 4, almost the arctic. I've had some bronzing, but not a lot on mine and we've seen three or four consecutive days of single digit nights in the last couple of weeks.
I have no problem leaving them out normally but with the warmer than usual winter I have a lot of new growth on them. I learned a long time ago the cold doesn't bother them but the frost will kill any new growth that hasn't hardened off. At least that's what my experience has been. I kind of like the bronzing.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Only the outermost leaves (and baby branches) are brown.
And they're not really BROWN. More a sickly ochre. But firmly attached.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll show my box if you show yours!

Sorce
uhm, ok here you go... not sure why Clyde is not showing his... :D
I keep this kingsville inside in the winters with my brt, and olive. It has been in for winters as long as I've had it, maybe 8 years? It may not need to be inside, but it does no harm to it, and it does grow a little. Course these are so slow, growing a little is very little...

Attachments

• P1000844.jpg
    P1000844.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 46

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now dammit!
I made a thread about overwintering OLIVES indoors and was excoriated mercilessly.
Well, not quite that bad.
But it was....suggested.... to leave it outside.

Hell, now I can't find the thread in the search.

:confused:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20170114_120751.jpg

Only a lil patch real bronze.20170114_120930.jpg

This bud grew about 6mm last year.20170114_120958.jpg

Some treats for spring.
20170114_120825.jpg

That are probly going to get lopped before they treat, with the rest of that.
20170114_120852.jpg

Milehigh's box is dry and shriveled.

Sorce

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have kept common box indoors over winter with my ficus and bougainvillea for two years, but in the last two years left them out with my junipers and elms. They survived either way, but grow better with dormancy. They are very versatile plants. Mine do bronze though.

Top Bottom