Boxwood flowering in Fall?

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello B-nuttters!

One of my boxwoods is developing flowers. Google tells me that that normally happens in spring. Is this normal or is something wrong? I repotted it in late spring along with some basic pruning of a few main branches.

Fyi, my weather is very mild all year, so maybe it's confused somehow? We are actually moving into a warmer time as the weather here tends to heat up in late summer, early fall, along with Santa Ana winds that will surely be coming along soon.

IMG_20210922_084536.jpgbw1.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Boxwood develop buds in fall that open late winter or spring.
Sometimes trees do flower at odd times of the year but buds on box now is normal.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many trees get confused in the fall. The sunlight and temps can be similar to their spring experience. My boxwood is flowering, but so is my crab apple, several pyracantha and a cherry. Not strongly flowering, but a few blooms.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fall is the mirror of spring--same conditions, but opposite. Fall blooms aren't unusual for many plants. No reason to worry. Won't hurt anything.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Many trees get confused in the fall. The sunlight and temps can be similar to their spring experience. My boxwood is flowering, but so is my crab apple, several pyracantha and a cherry. Not strongly flowering, but a few blooms.
I never thought of that, but you’re right

My mulberry and bougainvillea seem to be pushing a little extra growth too

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine's doing the same thing.

Attachments

• japanese_boxwood.jpg
    japanese_boxwood.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 18