Boxwood ground layer?

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I was walking the dog around my neighborhood and spotted this back in one landscaped area and it caught my eye. Poking down in the dirt around it seemed to show it maybe a old portion of one of the boxwoods around it. Seems like it might be interesting if I could layer it out.

I live in a duplex community and have permission from the property management to do what I would like with it. Boxwoods see pretty indestructible so would ground layering this possibly work?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice and ideas all.

20210524_192436.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have nothing to lose! Go for it. Actually, a ground layer might be a better option. You can customize a nursery pot to sit on the ground and have spacers under it holding up the pot that you can pull out in ?Oct? and saw off the stump and carry it away.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
so would ground layering this possibly work?
Boxwood ground layer easily when their branches lay on the ground, or when some dipsh@*# throws mulch on the lower branches, I see it all the time unfortunately... It should work.

I would be worried about the community's landscapers messing with your contraption while it's rooting.

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks guys good to know. 😀

I figured I would try a little lower than soil level since it's only about 6" tall and bury a pot somewhat in the ground.

Nice thing is it's kind of hidden and I know the landscape guy. He comes by the house for a beer all the time so no worries on that front.

Top Bottom