Boxwood health question

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A few weeks ago I saw some large boxwoods on the street and the owners were in the yard and said I could have them. They were about 36 hours dug, so the exterior roots were dry but the interior looked in decent health. Had adequate roots. Not being prepared nor having experience with boxwoods, I did what I thought seemed right- I removed overly large large branches, clearing room for inner branches to get air and light. I cleaned up dead branches and leaves. I left some live foliage on each branch, my thinking was having a pay for vascular flow. And I applied root hormone and placed into container with peat/soil mix (I was unwilling to dedicate too much money in soil not knowing if they would survive.)

The tips are starting to get new leaves, I don't know if this is from stored energy or new energy. How long does it take before I would know if they actually survived- within a few months, a season, two seasons? Is there anything I should be doing- feltilizer, trimming, etc? My plan was to use simple organic fertilizer and just let them be for the year. I have no idea on styling boxwoods, all I know is that there is little foliage lower in the truck (there is some) and I would like to encourage lower truck branching, so keeping the overhead clear so they can get more light is what I am thinking.

Also, there are three trees, the least healthy tree has weird growth at the tips, wondering if this it's last push before death.

Any suggstions welcome. I have no clue with these and not even sure it's worth the effort. I like the trucks though...

043.JPG045.JPG016.JPG011.JPG012.JPG

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
And I applied root hormone and placed into container with peat/soil mix (I was unwilling to dedicate too much money in soil not knowing if they would survive.)
The trees themselves look fine to me. It looks as if you have adequate feeder roots to support the trees growth and survival. My concern is soil they are planted in. You will have difficulty with drainage and the roots will be prone to rot. Bonsai requires well draining soil. Many of us use entirely inorganic soils for our trees. There are numerous soil threads on this forum so I don't need to reinvent the wheel, but research akadama, lava rock, pumice etc. Use the search tool on this forum as it's a great resource.

Also, it is very important to wire the trees into the container so that they aren't allowed to move around. Movement can damage new roots.

Good luck 👍

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found one of mine out and dry. X days.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Found 4 alongside the road a dozen years ago. Traded the other 3 over time, and kept this one I love. This B. sempervirons, very slow growing and needs to be wired for years to change anything, but tough as nails. Assume the best!
BxS 20190524_130822.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
They are really tough trees, I think yours will be OK. I have rescued many of them, and still have one of them. I once got a whole trailer load that were dug up and set on the side of the road for two days, in July. I took them home and planted them as a hedge. No special care, just dug a hole and stuck them in, they all lived except one.

Top Bottom