Boxwood Identification

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a mame boxwood from a bonsai nursery, but it was just listed as "boxwood," so I don't know what variety. My research suggests that different varieties have differing levels of winter hardiness (and possibly other care). Is there any way to determine after the fact what variety it is? My guess is Kingsville, but I'm new to boxwoods.

Attachments

• IMG_3088.JPG
    IMG_3088.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 45

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think anyone would not put the higher dollar commanding "kingsville" tag on it if it were.

I guess English. Buxus sempervirens 'Suffruticosa'.

Sorce

johng

Omono
Reaction score
The bark texture and leaf shape completely eliminate Kingsville as an option. The rounder shape leaves and bark suggest Morris Midget to me...I believe that is a cultivar of microphylla...

Regardless... in that small of a container it will need significant protection in 5b

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a Kingsville. Leaves too large, growth isn't tight enough. Probably a cultivar of Japanese boxwood (buxus microphylla) like the "Morris Midget" mentioned already. Might be English Box (buxus sempervirens), but those aren't reliably in nursery stocks. Definitely not American Boxwood (buxus sempervirens 'suffruticosa" leaves are too large and thick). Growing zone for English and American boxwood is 5-8. In Michigan both would be marginal, so that's another strike against those. Both English and American box are extremely common around where I live. I've got thousands of them around in old home sites. They've been planted here since the early 1700's and many of those are still alive.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Agree that growth looks too large for Kingsville.

If you purchased from Flower Market, they have had morris midget in the past at all state bonsai shows.

Key note - I'm in 6a, and have one kinsgville that I purchased from Bill Valavanis - I will be providing more protection this winter - mulched heavily with leaves last season like my english/american, which have never had a problem - and had some die-back and browning on the Kingsville. So depending on your zone in Midland, I would consider more protection than just 'on the ground + mulched' (which is what 90% of my trees have for winter).

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, thanks for the info everyone, and especially Brad. I did, in fact, buy it from the Flower Market, so it seems highly likely to be Morris Midget. I'll do some more research on that. As far as winter protection, that's one thing I'm hoping to nail down. I bought it last summer, and it survived last winter in my unheated/attached garage, but it got down to at least teens in there if not single digits. I don't want to push my luck and assume that's a long-term safe solution.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, thanks for the info everyone, and especially Brad. I did, in fact, buy it from the Flower Market, so it seems highly likely to be Morris Midget. I'll do some more research on that. As far as winter protection, that's one thing I'm hoping to nail down. I bought it last summer, and it survived last winter in my unheated/attached garage, but it got down to at least teens in there if not single digits. I don't want to push my luck and assume that's a long-term safe solution.
I've left my kingsville boxwoods out last few Winters here in 6a Ohio, tough little trees. Their hardiness is zone 6 for the kingsville, 6-8 for the Morris... Looks like you're too cold for that option, curious what you work out, I've got to find an answer for some azaleas this year...
Brent

Top Bottom