Boxwood in S. California

Kaipai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello

I have been practicing bonsai in New England for 25 years. I am moving to Southern California soon and have to make some hard choices about which trees I can bring- that will do well there. I work mostly with Maples, zelkova, hornbeam, hynoki cypress and Pines, all of which require winter dormancy and will not thrive there.

I have a boxwood that is about 50 years old and I’m wondering if anyone knows if the boxwood will do well in the Southern California environment, given the right shade screening and watering regiment.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing any suggestions or insights.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you're better off selling and starting fresh.

Climate is one thing...

Pests, travel, California, ...that's another.

Welcome to Crazy!

"And they tell me...."

Sorce

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I am no tree expert, but it might depend on where you are moving to. Where I'm at in Southern CA, I see many types of in-ground trees growing well here, including pines, maples, and cypress. Trees that require freezing temps might not make it, but I'd try unless you could get good money out of your existing trees. We have deciduous trees and even though it doesn't get cold-cold, they are still in tune with the seasons. I would imagine with a little extra care that some would survive just fine.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hello

I have been practicing bonsai in New England for 25 years. I am moving to Southern California soon and have to make some hard choices about which trees I can bring- that will do well there. I work mostly with Maples, zelkova, hornbeam, hynoki cypress and Pines, all of which require winter dormancy and will not thrive there.

I have a boxwood that is about 50 years old and I’m wondering if anyone knows if the boxwood will do well in the Southern California environment, given the right shade screening and watering regiment.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing any suggestions or insights.
Hey I'm not too far away on the Central Coast of CA and have similar weather to much of So Cal. Like @Wulfskaar mentioned, there are different climates in So Cal, but for the most part I think Korean Hornbeam and Boxwood will do great in So Cal.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Why are you moving to the land of droughts, fire, insane heat and stinking deserts?

The only habitable climate areas in California, the property values are so high that you have to make 5 times the income you need east of the Rockies, just to get a one room efficiency.

I a joking, sort of. Except I know a 1 bedroom apartment, that in my home town might rent for $500 per month costs around $4000 per month near Berkley. All the "nice areas" of California really are pretty insane for property values.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, Leo's exaggerating a bit. I'm living in the fog belt of central coast California, near Monterey. A 4bdrm, 3 bath house (2000 sq ft or so) near me rents for $3500 to $4000.

Boxwood do great near me. I'm not S Cal. Near the coast in S Cal I bet they do well. Inland they may struggle.

Also, California will do it's best to restrict import of plant material. They have Ag inspection stations on all major roads entering the state. If you have plant material that does not have a phytosanitary certificate they may very well confiscate it.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
If you’re selling hopefully you give us (me) first bids lol

manlion89

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
It really depends what part of Southern CA. I live in Pasadena. We keep Hynoki Cypress and Korean Hornbeam but they can struggle here with the intense summer heat. It is hard to keep foliage from burning. The boxwood should do well in addition to the other species you listed.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think you're playing with fire. California needs to restrict plant entry to protect agraculture against bringing bugs & pathogens to the endless summer from a place where they are controlled by winter. You should start with auctions here with a unpublished reserve price. If you don't get a price that convinces you to sell some, deal with that differently. There are more clubs and individuals and vendors in California than any other state, more than enough for you to buy whatever you want.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m about 8 blocks from the ocean in Laguna Beach. I love my Japanese maples until about June, then they start looking crispy. Tridents do much better. My thicker-leaves varieties didn’t get crispy at all this year. This year I’m amending all their soil with gypsum, etc., to see if that helps.

I have 2 starter Korean Hornbeams ... they aren’t doing that great.

Zelkovas and other elms are okay here.

Time for you to start embracing oaks, olives, bougainvillea, ficus, etc. But don’t give up on some of the ones you love.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Kimura Nursery in LA had a lot dug from the landscape, @bonsaibp brought one to our club for a demo. Back when those kinds of things still happened.

Bringing a nice collection here may take some planning and phyto inspections/certifications on your end to get past border control. I brought houseplants and a few pre-bonsai out 10 years ago, including a boxwood. I had them all in Haydite and called them “houseplants”. They glanced at them at the checkpoint and asked if they were soil. No problems.

Also, there are tons of zones and microclimates here which will greatly impact species grown. I’m coastal with low 40s in “winter” but can grow most everything except pines that need hard dormant. I grow coast redwood, ficus, JBP, Elm, Oaks, Olives, Zelkova, Tridents, and even Japanese maples among others. Of course, if you are further inland or in the “desert” or mountains you will have a completely different experience.

Good Luck!

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Boxwood grow in the Coachella Valley also (Palm Springs), where summers often to get to 120F

Kaipai

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all so much. You pointed out a few things I haven’t considered- such as the agricultural inspection. It would be pretty upsetting to crate up some of my trees, drive them 3000 miles, only to have them taken at the state line.
What a great resource this group is. I really appreciate all the time and thought you’ve given me here.
I may put some in-ground for development. Put others into very large pots (for decreasing watering needs) and have someone caretake them... and prune them on annual visits in hopes they could be refined and styled again after many years. (The move is likely not permanent) it’s actually the hardest part about the move for me. Leaving my 53 houseplants and my Bonsai...
Thank you all! On to learning new material and adapting to new environments! Thanks. 🙏🏼

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Ok, Leo's exaggerating a bit. I'm living in the fog belt of central coast California, near Monterey. A 4bdrm, 3 bath house (2000 sq ft or so) near me rents for $3500 to $4000.

Boxwood do great near me. I'm not S Cal. Near the coast in S Cal I bet they do well. Inland they may struggle.

Also, California will do it's best to restrict import of plant material. They have Ag inspection stations on all major roads entering the state. If you have plant material that does not have a phytosanitary certificate they may very well confiscate it.
That’s insane in FL that might go for $2k. With all of cali’s regulations I wonder how anyone can actually do bonsai there! Do they smuggle new trees in? Work only on trees that have been in the state? By ag stations does that mean anyone carrying a houseplant during a move has to pull in or can you just drive buy and not get pulled over and get lucky?

Kaipai

Seedling
Reaction score
That’s insane in FL that might go for $2k. With all of cali’s regulations I wonder how anyone can actually do bonsai there! Do they smuggle new trees in? Work only on trees that have been in the state? By ag stations does that mean anyone carrying a houseplant during a move has to pull in or can you just drive buy and not get pulled over and get lucky?
I was wondering about this too.. I was planning to bring at least a few of my houseplants.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I was wondering about this too.. I was planning to bring at least a few of my houseplants.
I don’t know anyone who’s moved to California only away so I can’t say. Hopefully the current residents know.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ag inspection is a leaky, spot check at best. Depending on the day they might be closed. They might be asking for voluntary compliance (stop if you have stuff) or they might be requiring everyone to stop. If you don't stop you might get by, or you might get chased down by highway patrol. If you stop they probably will simply ask you if you have any items of concern and let you go if you say no. Or they might search your vehicle. With Google Maps it's not hard to find local, off highway roads to bypass the inspection stations. How this is effective is anyone's guess. When I moved from Wisconsin my new county ag inspector showed up at my house to inspect my outdoor furniture for gypsy moths. I have no idea how they knew I was a recent arrival.

Commercial nurseries obtain phytosanitary certificates before transporting across the state line, and sometimes between regions within California.

Kaipai

Seedling
Reaction score
The ag inspection is a leaky, spot check at best. Depending on the day they might be closed. They might be asking for voluntary compliance (stop if you have stuff) or they might be requiring everyone to stop. If you don't stop you might get by, or you might get chased down by highway patrol. If you stop they probably will simply ask you if you have any items of concern and let you go if you say no. Or they might search your vehicle. With Google Maps it's not hard to find local, off highway roads to bypass the inspection stations. How this is effective is anyone's guess. When I moved from Wisconsin my new county ag inspector showed up at my house to inspect my outdoor furniture for gypsy moths. I have no idea how they knew I was a recent arrival.

Commercial nurseries obtain phytosanitary certificates before transporting across the state line, and sometimes between regions within California.
Thanks. I’m from Massachusetts, and generally when they see mass plates, they are concerned about Gypsy moth eggs coming in on vehicles. The few times I’ve driven into Ca, they always do an inspection of the vehicle. I wonder if I could crate and shop a few to a nursery that handles certifications...? Any thoughts on this?

Top Bottom