Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a nice start for an oak style. As other's have stated (and I'm sure you know) you'll never get some of the thicker branches to bend and show movement. I've pruned hard when the time was right with mine and was repaid with favorable results. Also, I would address this area soon with some concave cutters. Get it out of the way as it will need a good amount of time to callus over or create a cool little Uro. Just my 2 cents.
Colin's Boxwood.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would use that area where the large branch was removed as a uro, but I wouldn't take concave cutters to it. I would drill out the interior wood and make a deeper hollow within the existing ring of bare wood. I'd carve out until I met live cambium all around the ring. Then cover the cambium/wood live edge with cut paste and wait. Boxwood make rolling callus tissue that will form a live edge around the ring, much like "real" oaks do. the effect is more convincing as uro--flush cuts remove the "Callus collar" at the base of limbs--the collar produces more uniform healing than a flush cut.
http://www.urbantree.org/flushcut.shtml

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm thinking power tools for that uro . . . Travis has a nice flex-shaft-grinder arrangement at the studio that's ideal.

Reactions: Vin

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Dont know if you saw Larry White's Demo on You Tube? At Redwood Empire Bonsai Society. Can't seem to post link......It's worth a search.

Mike

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, he does. Good luck with your's. Good looking tree! Keep us updated.
Should make a cool project. I have a boxwood rescued from a garbage pile two years ago with a similar shape. Planning on doing something similar as it's such an effective use of the natural form of the genus. Any idea how quickly I can expect to see back budding on an older boxwood?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Colin how did this boxwood do this year what way did you go with it ?
Havent touched this one since the quick cleanup when I got it. I'm letting it run wild and build up a big head of steam, and I plan to chop it pretty drastically next year . . . and then forget about it again for a while ;)

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Havent touched this one since the quick cleanup when I got it. I'm letting it run wild and build up a big head of steam, and I plan to chop it pretty drastically next year . . . and then forget about it again for a while ;)

Care to take a update pic of how much growth it pushed?

I got two little ones one of them is also headed towards the oak styled design i think :) got a couple years to go tough if not a decade lol

Top Bottom